Betta Hates Betta Food

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Impudence12

Broke Aquarist
Jul 3, 2007
Charlotte, NC
The Kraken hates the betta food we got him. We got a betta a while ago and picked up some betta food since we didn't have any pellets that floated. He'll eat them and then spit them out. So after some testing the only food he likes is freeze-dried bloodworms. Anyway, we went to the store to get some frozen goobers for him to eat, just freeze dried food probably isn't the best for him. While we were there one of the employees suggested he was overfed and that's why he won't eat the pellets. So we didn't feed him for 3 days at the employees suggestion. Just now he again refused the pellets. I think he ate one, but I'm not sure, he spit out some crushed pellets so he might have spit everything out. Maybe the food taste nasty... But what to do with a nearly full bottle of betta food. The snails seem to like it tho surprisingly.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
They're good cat/dog treats...

I find bettas don't like pellets, at ALL. Mine don't, Wal-Mart's don't (as 100-200 pellets at the bottom of each cup prove), and as far as I know, LFS's don't.

I feed only bloodworms and sometimes frozen bloodworms to my male bettas. The females get normal bloodworms, flakes, shrimp pellets (they make sure of that), and sometimes frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. Btw, by "bloodworms" and "normal bloodworms", I don't mean live, I mean freeze dried :)

Impudence12

Broke Aquarist
Jul 3, 2007
Charlotte, NC
He wasn't keen on the tropical fish flakes. We tried those a min ago, and he would eat and spit those out just the same..

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I feed my betta freeze dried bloodworms, tubliflex worms, betta pellets and sometimes live moths.

duchessren

AC Members
Sep 14, 2006
What's wrong with freeze-dried bloodworms if that's what he wants? Make the other food available to him occasionally and feed bloodworms imo.

Impudence12

Broke Aquarist
Jul 3, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I just don't like feeding any fish just one thing. I get bored of the same meal after like a week figure I should offer the fish the same.

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
my bettas and all the ones at the store love their betta bits, they also now obsess over hikari freeze-dried bloodworms (just picked up some frozen too but yet to see if they like them). They don't go for the flakes though, they just look at them and seem confused.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
I just don't like feeding any fish just one thing. I get bored of the same meal after like a week figure I should offer the fish the same.
Not all animals feel the same way humans do about variety. If I change my dog's food, he won't eat it for about 2 days. Of course, he'll gobble a piece of table food right down, but he can't live off people food because it's unhealthy. If a fish isn't enjoying what you're feeding him, he'll let you know. If he's eating something, he's happy with it.

Mar 9, 2007
Mine used to looove hikari betta bite pellets or whatever they're called. He has just stopped eating them and only likes frozen bloodworms now. I even bought him some frozen beef heart gum drops thats made for carnivorous fishes and he doesnt like that either. So he eats frozen bloodworms for now. Im tired of wasting money on stuff he doesn't like. heh. Pickey fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store