snowflake Eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
I was looking at Germanman's thread about his new tank and saw the pictures of his snowflake eel and the nice coloration that it had, and I have a question about my snowflake. After I had him for a couple of weeks he started to loose the white markings and now is mostly brown on the top, he still has the white face and white on the bottom. What could of caused this? I feed him a mixture of silver sides, shrimp and krill but mostly in the beginning only silver sides. He eats like a horse and is very active no signs of being ill.

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
I don't see any scars when I feed him, like Germanman's I can get him to chase to food, and when he is hungry he will come out of the rocks kinda like begging LOL.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
In some eel loosing much of its brighter colors will have nothing to do with any scars but rather your water quality in question as well as its diet being as variety and nutritional as possible.

If your water quality isn't in question here, another problem is that this eel of your has some stress issues in this tank.

You can put this to question first by explaining the tank size and all its inhabitants and filtration system and im sure that Grins will be able to come up with what the problem might be, Right Grins :lol:

Also, forget about feeding silversides for its one thing to see about starting to get your eel to feed and another is that this type of foods has nothing nutritional to offer to your eels diet and if you can, locate a fresh sea food market in your area to buy the food for your eel and see about what crab you can buy there and be sure that what you buy is from the oceans. And also look to try squid as well, but be sure that the tubes you buy are not too soft.

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
Well I did have a problem with the water quality to start with but I have corrected that problem. I have a 180 gal tank with about 260 lbs of LR I have a Niger trigger, hippo tang, sail fin tang, golden butterfly, powder blue tang and a emperor angelfish and a porcupine puffer, none of which seem to bother the snowflake. I just started to feed him frozen shrimp that I bought from the store and taking him off the silver sides.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Nice size tank, but naming your live stock, this tank is however over stock and I would have to believe that your still issues with your water quality.

You not also listed what type of filtration system you have on this tank and if your a skimmer>

Also what can determine your a water quality issue or not, how often you do a water change and how many gals?

Also if your any power heads in this tank for water currents?

And what was your nitrate levels when you done the last water test?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
some fish and eels (and such) will develop off colorations on there own, with you doing nothing wrong. Could be something that was wrong with the eel when it was born, or something in the genetic make-up. heres an example.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/Scopas 2.htm

This is a picture of a scopas (brown) tang, in a reef scientists tank. The tank water was fine, and the fish was alone in the tank (well there are a few cardinal fish, but nothing aggressive.). He got the tang when it was all yellow (juvinille, note that it also has a white tail, which is very unusual as well.), like usual... but it changed dramatically after a few months in captivity. It ended up being all yellow , with only a tad bit of brown. It also kept the white tail.

Heres what it ended up looking like.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/Scopas in Aquarium.htm

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
joander123, In all my years of owning and studying moray eels that if any birth defects that this would show and not have any sudden developed later on in life for which if and when something should appear, it will either mean it developed some type of internal infection or a skin issue due to water quality problems in which case the eel wouldn't live long enough for the full change over of what your speaking of.

As prior before, the eel will loose its appetite and fade away slowly. For at any sudden problem other then stress among other tank mates that if an eel developes most any type of illnesss what if infection (external or internal) or ulcers or any other problem one would care to mention here, the eel will appear strong at first and suddenly after weeks or so depending on the species will fade fast. That is if you look to do the best for the eel you own, you find that its life rewarding would be is that it would live far longer then most others.

On tangs and so, I seen something as that so many times ;)

tankanator

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Frederick MD USA
I'm currently not running a skimmer I've tried two types of sump skimmers and both have failed to work. I have a CPR Cy 294 filter with attached sump about 35 gal the two skimmers that came with the sump did not work to much water flow and no way to control it so I removed them. I then bought a AcuaC Ev-240 skimmer but it will not fit into the sump and is to tall, so that's been scraped. My two returns are around 1400 GPH and I'm also running a Hydor Koralia model 4 1200 GPH pump. I'm looking into HOB skimmers but I'm limited in my selection because of the size of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store