This is enough to make even spider and snake lovers squirm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
What a horror show.

I probably don't need to tell any of you this, but keep your dangerous reptiles, insects, and spiders in escape-proof cages.

Pet spider kills its owner

Killer ... a poisonous Black Widow spider

From ALLAN HALL
in Berlin

A MAN who lived in his own “zoo” of lizards and insects was fatally bitten by a pet black widow spider — then eaten by the other creepy-crawlies.

Police broke in to Mark Voegel’s apartment to find spider Bettina along with 200 others, several snakes, a gecko lizard called Helmut and several thousand termites had gorged on his body.

Neighbours alerted police after becoming alarmed by the stink. And horrified officers were met by a nightmare scene.

Spider's victim ... the body of tragic Voegel is taken away

A police spokesman said: “It was like a horror movie. His corpse was over the sofa.

“Giant webs draped him, spiders were all over him. They were coming out of his nose and his mouth.

“There was everything there one could imagine in the world of reptiles.

“Larger pieces of flesh torn off by the lizards were scooped up and taken back to the webs of tarantulas and other bird-eating spiders.”

Hungry ... termites ate body

Loner Voegel, 30, never invited people back to his “jungle” home, a small apartment in the German city of Dortmund.

Police described it as a cross between a botanical garden and the butterfly breeding ground in the serial killer movie The Silence Of The Lambs.

One tarantula had built a nest the size of a swallow’s in a corner of the ceiling.

Voegel also had a boa constrictor and several poisonous frogs from South America.

Lair ... a cage is taken away

Spider expert and animal cruelty officer Gabi Bayer said he kept creatures “that should never be allowed in a private home”.

She said: “He had spiders so aggressive they are the equivalent of a pit-bull in the animal world.”

The reptiles were allowed to roam free in the flat.

The heating elements on two tanks containing spiders and their termite snacks had exploded and dislodged the metal tops allowing them to escape.

Danger ... he kept snakes

Voegel is thought to have been dead for between seven and 14 days. A post-mortem will be carried out in the next few days. But authorities believe Bettina alone was responsible for Voegel’s death.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004092008,00.html

flapper12

AC Members
Jun 28, 2007
Temple, Texas
HOLY FUDGE CAKE!!!

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Why did I click this link before bedtime? :(
And why do people want to own spiders? They are the most disgusting and disturbing creatures in existance! Omg what a horrible way to go.

elementkid65

gill-less
Jul 3, 2007
where ever i am
thats sik (in a bad way) holy sizzle fick wtf how shoot scared would u be to see that corpse.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
If I walked in on that, chances are very high that I myself would drop dead on the spot. I am so scared of spiders it's not funny in the least. All the other critters... gross. The spiders making webs everywhere and toting off pieces of the guy's flesh... beyond words.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store