would this HO refugium be of benefit?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
Okay, still not really understaning the refugium thing but, I have a 75g tank and Im in the planning stages of a FOWLR setup. I have 60 lbs of figi pink sand, will be getting about 90 lbs of live rock, and an aqua C remora pro skimmer. Stock will be along the lines of a yellow tang, coral beauty angel, two clowns, 6 chromis, and a cleaner crew. Im wondering if this refugium would offer any benefit to my setup, and what would those benefits be? Thanks

the large one.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
A sump is not possible, the remora is already on its way. I wasnt going to have either a sump or refug, but after seeing this one and seeing that I could fit it on the back of the tank made me think. I have 150$ left budget-wise , and figured this may be worth while, what exactly do for me with my setup, anything? Thanks!

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
I read somewhere that the refug should be 20% of the tank volume to get nutrient export, i have a 75 g tank, and the refug is like 5g, would I get any valuable nutrient export? I like the idea of providing the main tank with a natural live food source though. But my other question has to do with lighting, what would fit this thing, its like 24 x 4? I seen a pc light made specifically for it but its like 75$, which I will not pay. I paid 95 for my satellite pc with lunars and everything for my 75g. Also, I read about concern of the weight of this thing along with a HO skimmer, breaking the tank? What should I do as far as lighting?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I read somewhere that the refug should be 20% of the tank volume to get nutrient export
Wich would be wrong. The size of the fuge will not determine wether you get nutrient export or not.

As for light, one way to do it would be to get one of coralife's T5 strip lights, wich are only about 3 inches wide.

chirojosh

AC Members
Nov 24, 2006
cool, I may just do this then. the light, I see comes with a 14W 10K bulb, I remeber reading the light should be around 6100k? should I get a different bulb?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store