Black skirt tetras

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tycoon

AC Members
May 29, 2007
Are they schooling fish?

I read somewhere that they have a behavior of picking on each other just like tiger barbs but they're peaceful toward other tankmates and are really hardy.

jessa10

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
I have 5 in my 29gallon and they live with other peaceful tetras and livebearers and the only fish they pick on are each other! I say get some, they are beautiful and fun to watch! Also, just so you know, my white and black skirts all school together!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i have not had black shirt tetras, but i have heard mixed reviews on them being fin-nippers. probably a larger school will have less of a problem.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yep they school.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
They are fin nippers. However, the bigger the school of them the better since then they just seem to pick on each other and leave the other fish alone. if you want them, try getting the biggest school of them that your tank can afford.

Marinemom

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
When i think of the word "school" in the fish sort of way, i see a bunch of fish swimming together with overall similar movements. Out of all the times i've seen black skirt tetras, I never saw them do the above. thus, I would not classify black skirt tetras as schooling fish, but rather, shoaling fish.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Yeah they are more of a shoaling species than a tight schooler. And IME they are more aggressive than most tetras. Smaller fish such as neons could have a tough time in the same tank. They are very hardy however.

Tycoon

AC Members
May 29, 2007
whats the difference between shoaling and schooling?

I plan on having 7 black skirts (sorry rummys but u guys are too delicate for a new tank), 7 harlequins, and 2 blue rams.

You guys think they wont pick on the rams or the harlys (gang war lol)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store