Mixing Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
yes, for many reasons, although I am sure it has been done before and will be done again. It's just not the preferential treatment for the fish, so, yes its bad.

dcallen

The Spurs: World Champs again!
May 6, 2003
Texas
Visit site
I totally agree with Optix. You want to keep them apart for sure. The results of doing this would be tragic.

HTH

Welcome to AC!

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
i think i have mixed them already.. jewel cichlids with nicaraguan cichlids.. have seen no trouble yet.. the nics are twice as big as the jewels.

another tank has firemouth and african knife and an african puffer[fahaka]. they seem to get along.

although jewels are african continent, i dont think they are lake malawi or tanganika. so i have no experience with that. i saw small africans beating a large oscar at my lfs.

nolemite

AC Members
May 27, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The nicaraguense and firemouths are central american. Jewels are west african.

What size is the tank? The jewels (you didn't mention which species) have a reputation for being rougher in general than the nicaraguense. If the tank is big enough, then the mix could work.

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
Like I’ve said in a previous post; "I know some people mix all kind of cichlids, even from different parts of the world and sometimes even those species get along just fine."
But frankly, it's not my idea of keeping cichlids as for most hobbyists. Read up on compatibility and find out why it's a bad idea. At least you would know what to look for when problems occur. Here’s an example of just one of them.

Quote:
"Spawning aggression. Hemichromis bimaculatus, widely known as the Jewel cichlid, is a truly magnificent fish. However, when spawning in the limited space of an aquarium it becomes as deadly as it can get. Even the female may be killed on the spot if "she" doesn't accept the males courting. Certainly, getting 4 of them in a community tank will always result in big troubles. This species is simply incompatible because if its spawning behavior"
Quote:
"It should be noted that when spawning, some fishes "enlarge" their territory considerably. If the tank is not big enough, this may well mean that there is no space for the rest of your fish. A good example is the African river fish Hemichromis bimaculatus (known as the Jewel cichlid). When this fish is spawning all other fish in the tank become endangered species. It goes without saying that, the bigger the fish, the bigger the problem will be."

I guess it'll be totally up to you.

Jimmy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store