LFS is killing 2-3 dragonfish a day!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shaki of Borg

Una maquina with a new tank
Aug 2, 2007
St. Louis
It's not a normal LFS, it's a Petsmart. They have the dragon fish in regular dechlorinated water and they wonder why the fish keep dying. I told the girl working there that they need brackish water and her reply was "Maybe that's why ours keep dying!" I told the ppl at my normal LFS (Beldt's in St. Louis) and they are trying to get Petsmart to properly care for the fish. Is there anything else I can do to help these fish? Any ideas, or is it hopeless?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
All you can do is give them good advice. Maybe talk respectfully to the manager about it.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If you are going to give advice, back it up. These corporate places usually have a manual or something that they follow. So you have to proove it is wrong. Bring in a book or printed article from the internet to proove they are brackish fish, and what type of water brackish actually is (not just adding some salt).

Linariel

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
Michigan
They can't put them in brackish water because the corporate office does not instruct them to. So if they tried it, they'd be in trouble for not following the 'policy and procedure' handbook.

It sucks, I know. They also keep Columbian Sharks and Mono Sebaes in fresh water.

Shaki of Borg

Una maquina with a new tank
Aug 2, 2007
St. Louis
so should I talk to a manager or go to a higher level with proof? If it's a policy, would the manager be able to get the changes made that will help the fish?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I think you will have to go to the top which is their corporate offices. That is the only way you will effect any change in their policies.

Marinemom

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
you should write to the corperate offices and tell them about it.

you'll have to tell them that they need MARINE salt in their water, not aquarium salt.

they'll need to find a way to seperate the brackish fish from the others, because the other fish that they carry (excluding mollies) wont appreciate marine salt in their water. or, they could give instructions (like a typed up sheet of paper, my Petsmart has some on certain types of fish already) to the customers buying the fish on how to properly acclimate them to a true brackish environment.

Last edited:

beefsteak

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
California, USA
While I agree that Dragons need brackish, in the over a year I've been working at PetSmart I've never seen a dead one yet. Go fig. :confused:

But PetSmart is supposed to be updating some of it's information and is starting to at last label some of the fish as brackish.

spirals

i will eat you in your sleep
You have to go to corporate if you want to see changes with things like water salinity, space, species carried, labels, etc. Basically the only thing the people at the stores (including the managers) can do is alter how many times/what the fish are being fed and how clean the tanks are. Even with that we have manuals for how we are supposed to do it (with fairly specific feeding charts). Our tanks are also hooked up to one main system, so having one or two tanks which are brackish while the rest are not wouldn't be feasible. Sadly enough the only thing I can see coming of this is corporate ignoring the brackish water argument, or for us to stop carrying the gobys.

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
Do you know what day their shipments come in? Most of those gobies come in on their last legs anyway; we usually lose ours within three days, if not hours. I highly doubt the DC has them in brackish either. Basically, my manager just block them from coming to our store because of the loss. Petsmart also has to keep them on gravel, and our store has gotten in trouble for our sand tanks for the peacock eels, horseface loaches, dojo loaches, etc.

You have to go to corporate. The manager's hands are tied in that respect, because blocking off the tanks and setting up a seperate system is not allowed (however, it is doable in the old fish systems, if you have a cannister filter).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store