Need help with driftwood I found by river! Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

So I decided I was gonna look for some driftwood at a local river. So I went there and under a train bridge there was a big log jam of driftwood (woohoo!). So I found some nice pieces (which I'm pretty sure are douglas fir) and I'm wondering what I should do to make them safe for my aquarium. I already scrubbed them well and they are now soaking in warm salty water in the sink. Heres what I'm planning on doing next:

- Boil them

-Put them in the oven at 350F

-Scrub and soak them again

-Sand off all the rough edges and get rid of any debris stuck in the cracks.

Does that sound good? My other question is is douglas fir safe for aquariums?

Thanks

CL

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I've always been cautioned to stay away from sappy trees. Since we use Douglas Firs for Christmas Trees I know they are very sappy. I guess if they've been in the water long enough the sap and resins could be gone.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Douglas fir are not pines.

Here are some pics:

BTW...I think all the sap would be gone since they have probably been in the river for a long time since most were smooth.

CL

dwag88

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
i dunno that stuff still looks pretty dark to me. there is going to be a LOT of tannin leaching going on there. probably gonna be a while before you can put that in your tank

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
wow, thats some nice driftwood you got. Your method of cleaning it sounds good

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
i dunno that stuff still looks pretty dark to me. there is going to be a LOT of tannin leaching going on there. probably gonna be a while before you can put that in your tank
Yep....I'm boiling like crazy to get the tannins out lol The way I look at it is its a experiement and overall its cheaper then buying it from the pet store.

CL

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
wow, thats some nice driftwood you got. Your method of cleaning it sounds good
Thanks.....I might go back for more since there was so much....and when I went I didn't have much time to look.

I'm also planning maybe to go to a different river soon to look for hard wood.

CL

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I agree, that is some beautiful driftwood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store