40 gal outflow flow rates into new sump??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gaspar

AC Members
May 15, 2007
Does anyone know where to find tank outflow charts? Attached photos show my 40gal tank and new sump/skimmer. The third photo shows the sump cabinet that I have built into the wall behind the tank.

The 40 gal tank has a bulkhead outflow that can be set up with a fitting for 1", 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" PVC down into the sump. Plans are to use a Mag 5 for the Aqua C EV-120 skimmer and a Mag 9.5 to pump up 3' [split through a SCWD] back into the tank.

The math works out to +/- 750 GPH back into the tank. [Mag 5 pumping up 3' = 950 GPH less 20% for the SCWD] Would like to end up with +/- 600 GPH flowing down from the tank.

Would really like this system to be QUIET. Any thoughts on this? Maybe two
Eheim's insted of the Mag 5 and Mag 9.5 pumps?

Have learned so much from and have great respect for this Aquaria Central forum. Any info and/or comments will be appreciated and incorporated!

Will post the final sump design soon...

New Tank & Sump.jpg Tank Det.jpg SUMP Cab w:Elect.jpg

noskimmer

AC Members
Mar 5, 2007
Sydney
Real Name
Nick Papahatzis
I think the bottle neck might be the weir, as the gaps don't seem big enough for that flow, also, it doesn't appear that the water will be able to over flow if it cannot squeeze through. Have you tried running the system in closed loop i.e. back onto it's self, this is always a good test. Get a ball valve on your return and start with restricted flow and work up. you might want to maybe either drop the weir lower, or increase the gaps. Other than that it seems like it's a great design. To reduce noise run a vertical pvc pipe (ridged) up in the overflow wedged in the top of the bulk head and drill holes in it. This will prevent the majority of noise as it stops gurgling and you can control the water level in the overflow easier so to run it high, you won't get the noise of the water splashing as it cascades over. But looking very good so far. Would like to see it up and running.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store