Is it common for a pleco to...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OhNo123

AC Members
May 20, 2007
suck on a discus? So I went to the LFS yesterday and was looking around. And it happened to be feeding time while I was there. The discus didn't eat all the food so the pleco ate the ones that fell. But while the discus was picking at the food at the bottom, the Pleco swam up and started sucking a discus. That discus swam away and 10 seconds later, the pleco started chasing another discus and started sucking on that one. The discus escaped though. Any ideas?:confused: One discus did have some black spots on its sides. Don't know what that could have been.

kimmisc

is in your closet.
Mar 12, 2007
Florence, SC
Not a discus, but my little BN pleco will latch onto my other fish when he's fighting them off of his food sometimes... especially my fat platies. Maybe the pleco you saw was trying to get the discus to leave the food alone?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Maybe the pleco you saw was trying to get the discus to leave the food alone?
Unfortunately, it is very common for plecos, especially otos, to suck on the flanks of the fish. They do feed on the slime coat which the discus produces. Best not to mix them with plecos who have a habit for sucking the slime as this will stress the discus. The same thing can be said with the Chinese Algae Eaters.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Slime coat eaters....

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Tell the store, it'll kill the discus soon enough.

shaggbark

The rare and Elusive....Ninja Cod
Feb 12, 2007
Hopewell Jct. NY
I have never seen my pleco do this.....................maybe if they have nothing else to eat?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well, if the LFS is depending on the pleco to do only what it was doing - eat the leftover discus food - and not feeding anything specifically for the pleco (wafers or veggies), then i am not surprised. right now the pleco is probably just going after the discus to protect the little amount of food that it is getting, but as it gets hungrier and larger, it will go after the discus exclusively if they keep starving it.

lovejonesx

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like a hungry pleco to me, who is not being fed enough & is dining on the slim coat of a discus.

I've seen plecos do that, but I swore that I'd NEVER have one do it outta hunger,

LJx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store