WoooooHooooo my Electric Blue Jack Dempsey is on the way

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
So, today they sent me the tracking number for shipment. I ordered a Male Blue Gene Electric Blue Jack Dempsey along with 3 regular female Dempseys. Once he chooses a female i'll sale the other 2, and hopefully the pair will spawn, then I will give the female away, and let him choose a new female to spawn with, thus giving me a true blue gene pair of EBJD's. Yes I know it's hard to keep EBJD babies alive, but once they hit 2" they are ok. I've done my research and the guy I ordered them from is a breeder of the EBJD, so he has given me good information on them.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
ummm, it will take a bit longer than that. if you have a male BGJD (not EBJD), and he spawns with a regular female, the fry will be 50% BGJD and 50% normal, and you will not be able to tell them apart. then, if you get rid of the normal female, and let the male choose a new female, there is still a 50% chance of choosing a normal-gene female if he has to choose from his own offspring. IF he does choose an BG female, 25% will be normal, 50% will be carriers of the BG, and only 25% will be actual EBJD's. you won't know if the female is normal or a carrier until that spawn.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
ummm, it will take a bit longer than that. if you have a male BGJD (not EBJD), and he spawns with a regular female, the fry will be 50% BGJD and 50% normal, and you will not be able to tell them apart. then, if you get rid of the normal female, and let the male choose a new female, there is still a 50% chance of choosing a normal-gene female if he has to choose from his own offspring. IF he does choose an BG female, 25% will be normal, 50% will be carriers of the BG, and only 25% will be actual EBJD's. you won't know if the female is normal or a carrier until that spawn.
You're partially right. If the ebjd mates with a bgjd you get 50% ebjd and 50% bgjd. The 25% outcome is for two bgjds.

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
actually the female have the bg in them, they are from one of his original breeding pair he started out with. so the female have the bg in them. tis why the fry should be a 75%BGJD-25%EBJD mix

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Good deal! Post pics when it arrives!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
is the male a EBJD or a BGJD? if it is an EB, you don't have to say it's "blue gene electric blue". if it is obviously an EB, then no need to mention that it has blue genes. that's where i got confused. from what you wrote, i was thinking you have a gene-carrying male and two normal females, but you actually have a blue male and two BG females?

yes, that'll make things happen a lot faster.

cdfishie123

AC Members
May 23, 2007
i see you already updated your sig lol

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
okay, nevermind. Good luck with the breeding, you should def. start searching craigslist and find grow-out tanks and stuff.

pugwash

Able Seaman
Mar 16, 2005
Land of Augusta
Make sure you have some medications on hand to treat internal parasites...better to be safe than sorry. Just keep the water clean and offer a varied diet.

Good Luck.

Mine's been in the tank a couple of weeks now, haven't had to medicate yet, touch wood! Quite a boistrous little fellow too :lol:

Here's a useful link for you: http://bluejax.14.forumer.com/ The definative EBJD forum imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store