i need reefkeeper help for DIY

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
if anyone has step by step photos of reef-building.. or a website maybe, i would really appreciate it.

i'm going to try to imitate a reef set up for my new tank, but i'm going to make it from styrofoam/concrete. but when i look at pictures of a well established reef, its hard to visualise a starting point.

so if anybody has any pictures of your progress when starting your reef.. especially if you started from just rock.. please show them!!

thank you!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
That is a bit hard to help with. There are mulitple ways to build a reef and each design is unique. My recommendation is to find a look or two that you like and then post a link and ask how it was accomplished.

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
If your looking for the "standard" look of reef tanks, you should start out with some larger, more dense, or "boulder-like" if you will, pieces of live rock, and then add more pieces on top of your foundations.

Unfortunately, most reef design are only on one plane (one level sandbed) you could try something using live rock, or reinforced DIY live rock to try something like this, or combine more of the slope rocks to make a stepped look.

I'd say the best advice is to look around at the environment you're trying to recreate in some pictures online and in hobbyist settings.

seavalley.jpg

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
Thank you!!

this is close to what i'm going for.

i know obviously you start with the rocks, but since i'm going to be making the rocks, I'm getting a little overwhelmed trying to figure out what the rocks are supposed to look like... and i can't see through all the coral and other stuff.

anyways, just a general step-by-step timeline of how you put a reed tank like this together is all i need.
thanks again!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Ah...you're going to want to:

use pvc frame and tie them onto it via holes drilled in the frame

or
use acrylic tubes and drill holes in the rock to be able to stack the rocks on the tube (basically threading through odd shape donuts)

or
attach egg crate to the back wall and tie the rocks to that.

For more ideas I'd suggest taking a look at this rather long thread over at RC:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1094586&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
there is something i dont understand though: what do they use as molds to make these rocks?

thank you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store