105G First tank (african) need help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danikagrace

AC Members
May 13, 2007
ok so i kinda figured out how to upload the pics, sorry if you cant see too much

so in there at the moment-
altolamprologus calvus x 2
masked julie x 2
aulonocara red x 3
aulonocara albino red x3
Red claw crab x 2
angelicous (catfish) x 1

so i'v had the tank stocked for nearly 2 months now and was thinking about some colourful mbuna (hopefully juvenile) i love red top hongi's and demonsi's but you see them everywhere. i have a very good relationship with my lfs and he said he if i wanted a certain fish he could get it. so please some suggestions but colourful (in personality and looks)

long shot tank.jpg left to reet.jpg cichys.jpg

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You shouldn't mix malawi cichlids with tanganyikans. So imo, you should choose between the peacocks or the julies/calvus. If you want to go with mbuna the peacocks should be ok. But with the other option you should at least add more synos. They like company. How big is your tank? Additional stocking will depend on that...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The thread title says its' a 105 gal

danikagrace

AC Members
May 13, 2007
my friend who owns my lfs has mixed africans for years and has a similiar set up at home which has done well over the years. also the tank is 105 gallon

Mr Meaty

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
Southern Indiana
Ive had Malawi's and Peacocks mixed for amost 2 years now and no problems what so ever. And this is in both 55g and 125g. I believe if your tank is big enough and you've got plenty of caves and hiding spots they will be fine.

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Ive had Malawi's and Peacocks mixed for amost 2 years now and no problems what so ever. And this is in both 55g and 125g. I believe if your tank is big enough and you've got plenty of caves and hiding spots they will be fine.
I thought that Peacocks are also a spieces that comes from Malawi... humm.. maybe Im wrong. Either way, I dont see a big deal about mixing them. Im currently in the process of changing my 150gal into a Malawi tank, and I got a pair of peacocks, and since then I have added more fish from malawi and everyone seems to be getting along just fine :) ;)

on another note... (IMO) I DONT think you have ENOUGH hiding places, maybe you should concider adding more places for them to hide to help with the aggression.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store