Shrimp Compatibility

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
hey everyone. I was wondering if it is possible to mix shrimp species. I want to get a cleaner shrimp and i read that they do best in paris but does this go for the coral banded shrimp as well? I no the coral banded shrimp is a cleaner but i havent found anything saying they do best in pairs or they are aggressive towards other coral bandeds. I was also interested in buying a pistol shrimp because of their relationship with gobies but could u have say, 1 pistol shrimp and 2 cleaner shrimp in the same tank???

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Cleaner + Coral Banned = Coral Banned

Coral Banned + Coral Banned = 1 Coral Banned (unless they pair up/ or get a mated pair)

Cleaner + cleaner = 2 Cleaners

Cleaner(s) + pistol shrimp = Happy pistol shrimp

Coral Banned + pistol shrimp = Pistol shrimp

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
lol....I agree. You can mix scarlet skunk cleaners, fire cleaners, peppermint and even sexy shrimp...but if you toss a coral banded or pistol in there know that you might end up with a missing cleaner.

Neenie

Upgrade has arrived people!!
Jan 19, 2007
Romford, UK
We've got two cleaners, 1 blood red, 1 CBS..

No problems at all.. the CBS doesn't tolerate the others but only shoos them away... had them a while now and they are all fine and they are only in a 20 gallon at the moment!!! waiting for the new upgrade 100+ gallon so they will have even more room then....

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
shk atk, your saying that 2 regular cleaners can do fine with a pistol shrimp and a watchman goby or are u saying that a pistol will kill the cleaners??

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Yes a pistol will. They don't serve any real purpose other than something pretty to look at anyhow. I would just get a few cleaner shrimps, they serve the most purpose with cleaning / savaging.

dub*c

Tha Shadiest 1
Apr 26, 2007
yeah eh that sucks because i wanted to get a watchman goby with a couple cleaners. i thought pistols cant see very well.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
you could always set up a smaller tank and put a pistol/goby in it. I have a 10 and the only thing in there is Tigerpistol,Randalls Goby, one scarlet, and a mystery crab (hitch) Plus the smaller of a tank the better you can see the interaction.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
yeah eh that sucks because i wanted to get a watchman goby with a couple cleaners. i thought pistols cant see very well.
That is very true indeed..they rely on the goby to act as sight, hence why you always tend to see the shrimp keeping touch on the goby..

Never had any issues at all with having a pistol...in the same tank i also had 3 cleaners and peppermint shrimps...

the only main ones which cause issues are cbs and mantis shrimps...

Niko

manowar669

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Are peppermint shrimp actually cleaners, or just scavengers. Also, how long do the various cleaner shrimps live? Months, a year, or years?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store