Thinking of getting some Tetras...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LaRues Lady

AC Members
Aug 8, 2007
Hi everyone! I'm very new to raising fish and have some questions. I am wanting to get Tetras, probably Neons, since they're so beautiful and everything I've read says they're pretty good for beginners. Everything else I've read though confuses me and I was hoping you all could help! I need to know just about everything on how to take care of fish.

I was thinking about getting 6-12 Tetras. I don't know exactly how many together would be just enough or too much, or what size of a tank would be a good fit for them. I don't have too much space; probably room for a 10 gallon tank or so... I know it's hard to get a handle on size vs. water quantity, but estimates would be great! Could 10-12 Tetras be able to live comfortably in a 10 gallon tank?

Another thing to consider is what else should go in the tank. I've read that Tetras like to hide, so would some of the "rock castles" be good or is there something else better for them? And do they like any type of foilage in their tanks?

As far as food goes, I plan on using flakes mostly, but have read they like other things as "treats." What do most Tetras like, what should they avoid, and how often should they be given these things? Also, I've seen these "time released" capsuls of food for Tetras and was wondering if anyone had had any experience with them. I'm away from home at collage and sometimes go home for the weekends and was wondering if this would be good for the fish for two to three days at a time.

I am COMPLETELY clueless on how to treat the water, so what is a good way for a newbie like me to go about this? Are there any kits that are better than others and what exactly should I be looking for? Also, how long should the water have to settle before I can actually put the fish in the tank? Does it need more like 6-8 hours or 12-24 or greater? And should the water be heated, and if so, what would be the bet way to heat the water?

As far as keeping the tank clean and changing the water, what is the best way to do so? I know NOTHING about filters and vacuums or the 25% rule I've read about.

Also, if the Tetras do well, I may want to introduce some other fish. What would be good mates to the Tetras if I decide to do this, and about how much room would they need?

I think these are all of the questions I have, so if I have forgotten anything PLEASE let me know! Thank you all for reading this and helping me!!!

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If you only have a 10g tank, i would go with no more than 6-8 tetras. If it is possible for you to have a larger tank, say a 30 gallon, that will give you a lot more options for a larger group of tetras as well as other tankmates.

Fish usually don't care what else is in the tank. Mostly it is up to you as far as what you use, but having hiding spots will make the fish feel safer. Plastic plants would be fine.

Flakes, small pellets, and "treats" like bloodworms or brine shrimp would be a good food. Ask around for good brands - I use Omega One tropical flakes. No need to use those 'vacation feeders', your fish will be fine for a few days without food, and don't overfeed them before you leave- uneaten food makes water quality go downhill quickly.

As far as a dechlorinator, Prime is a very good product. Other things you need are liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate (as explained in the cycling thread). Tetras are tropical fish, and need warm water in the upper 70's. Submersible heaters are a good product - you don't have to worry too much about the water level dropping from evaporation and the heater overheating.

You need to have a filter. If you get a 10g tank, buy a filter for a 20-30g tank. If you get a 30g tank, buy a filter for a 55g. To clean the tank, either buy a bucket and a small gravel vac kit, or a Python. the python attaches to the sinkand both drains the tank and fills it up. you don't have to carry buckets if you use it. Never use your fishtank buckets for anything else, especially washing your car or cleaning the floor. Fish are very sensitive to chemicals like soap or other cleaning products.

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
After all the cycling and your tests show the tank is ready for for you to spend $$ on fish -- you might also look at glow-light tetras for their beauty -- I can recommend pygmy cories. I have three pygmy cories in my + ten-month-old, 10-gallon tank, along with 4 glow lights and 3 black neons (and lots of live plants and snails, too). All fish laid end to end would be about 9 inches, and about 1.5" of that clean up after themselves ;) I'm of the opinion that everything is balanced with my stocking optimum (it's better to be a little under than a little over, they say).

<-- See my pygmies here on the left

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
8 neons is a good place to stay for a ten gallon. then, you can get some inverts for the bottom of the tank, like cherry shrimp.

adding dechlorinator is the best way to treat the water. Prime is a good product, but Aqua+ also works well. do gravel vacs/partial water changes once a week. to heat the water, just use the warm side on the faucet. make sure you use a thermometer to measure the temp of the tank and the new water. try to get them within a couple degrees of one another.

if you have a school of 8 neons, there isnt much room for other fish. if you keep the school at six though, you can fit a honey gouami.

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
I have a 20 gallon tank and i have 3 black phantom tetras, 4 rainbow tetras and 4 red eyed tetras and they're all fine together. No problems what so ever. I'd recommend any of those 3 kinds but there are sooo many to choose from!

bkgodfrey

AC Members
Jun 3, 2007
I've got 5 neons on my tank and I love them. A great fish for a beginner.

Dread

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
There's some very beautiful 10g tanks that have neons in them. A suggestion that I've liked personally, and kept for a long while in 10g, is 6 Neon tetras, 3 Cherry Red Shrimp, and 1 Paradise Fish as the "centerpeice". I wouldn't suggest the paradise fish, however, since it may eat your shrimp. I think I just got lucky with a placid one.

With a 10g tank, you can simply syphon some water into a large cup twice or three times, and then refill the tank with treated tap water close to the tank water tempature. For something as small as 10g, I don't see why you would need a "Python" water changer. They're usually intended for larger tanks that would require many buckets for a water change.

Neons (and the other fish I described in my setup above) do prefer live plants to hide in. However, this is a whole other thread, and much much more difficult. Maybe once you get the hang of the fish, you can start on the plants. For now, plastic plants would do, as would the technicolor trippy sea-castle at Wal-Mart. It's all up to you.

As others have said, if you set up a 10g tank, buy a filter rated for 20g tanks. Always "overfilter;" ie, getting more filtration than you really need, and your fish will love you for it.

Another great setup would be just shrimp. I've found more people staring at the shrimp than at the fish, when I had a tank setup at my old workplace (just a 5.5g tank) people would gather to watch the shrimp. :) Hope this helps, and goodluck.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Understocking a tank is always the better option. You will have a more stable tank and there will be more oxygen for the fish in your tank if there are less of them. I would start with four or so tetras and see how they do. You can always add to the mix later.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store