Water Containers/Jugs for RO Water Storage & Mixing Container

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

twodaend

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
Alsip, IL
I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find some empty water jugs used to store RO water. I'm a newbie and just getting started. I decided to take a drive to some of the better LFS in the Chicagoland area that I read about here at RC. I went to Advanced Aquatics and Beyond the Reef. I'll be making may way out to Aquatic Reef within the next week or two. All of the good stores are a bit of a drive for me, but well worth the knowledge gained IMO.

However, while I was at Beyond the Reef, I noticed that they sell RO water and I like the jugs that they come in. I was thinking I could use some of these probably just 4 to store some water. I plan on getting an OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI from TheFilterGuys so I'll be able to make my own water.

However, the price for the jugs was $12.99. I was thinking they would be around $5-$6. Does anyone know where to get some of these jug or something similar? I plan on storing my jugs under the kitchen sink or bathroom sink as this was part of the WAF.

Example of water storage containers I'm looking for.
5 Storage containers stacked on top (Top-Left Side of Pic)

I'll have one large container for mixing purposes. I saw this at Walmart today. I was wondering if this would be ok for me to mix my water in.
Mixing Container 1948

Thanks

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Any Water shop or the water dispensers outside of most supermarkets (Albertson's, Wal-Mart, etc...) have RO water. Costs you $0.25 a gallon.

Try Wal-Mart or a water store for 5 gallon jugs,

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I use the 7g blue water jugs available in pretty much any sporting goods department (camping supplies) to store RO/DI water. I believe the jugs I bought cost around $6 - $7.

I mix sw in 5g buckets, originally in a 5g bucket I had been using for fw tanks, but now in the empty 5g buckets from when I buy salt mix. I store the newly mixed sw in those same 5g buckets for 1 - 3 weeks before it gets used without any problems. They are also easy to stack, making storing 15g - 20g of sw pretty easy for me to do in a small area.

My only concern with some of the Sterlite and Rubbermaid containers is the strength of the walls / sides. Most of the larger ones aren't designed to hold water, meaning the walls will likely stretch / bulge, which could be a problem over time if all the expanding / contracting leads to the plastic becoming brittle.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Check Home Depot as well. Some people use the big rubbermaid brute trash cans to mix and store water in.

If you do some hunting you might be able to find a drum dealer in your area and get a 55gal plastic drum. That is what I use. Thick walls and i don't have to worry about structural integrity.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Sure, the Brute containers are excellent. However, I've seen and heard of many new to the hobby getting the standard containers instead of the Brute simply to save money only to have problems with them. They ususally skip on the Brute series since they tend to be more expensive than the standard Rubbermaid products.

I bought a 50g Brute trashcan on wheels when I first got started. Then, I realized how unrealistic it was for me to store that much water. We don't have an enclosed garage, and I couldn't justify a 50g garbage can being anywhere inside our house. I ended up returning it once I realized my mistake, then went with the 5g buckets and drinking water containers. They've been really easy for me to move and store, and considering my wife's push for less clutter, they've been easy to keep out of the way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store