running skimmer off overflow.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
hey guys, im setting up my sump which is 20 gallons. In it im running a turboflotor 1000 skimmer. I dont really feel like spending the extra 80 bucks to buy an ocean runner 2700 (the pump that is suggested to go with it) so i figured id run it off of my overflow. I looked at the instructions, and it even mentions that this can be done. But im afraid that my overflows output would be too strong and lower efficiency of the skimmer. Im running a mag 9.5 return, and it with head feet factored in would be pushing about 800 gph, and my overflow is rated to handle 1000. So what im worried about is that 800 gph through the overflow would be to much for the skimmer to handle.

So my question is how would i go about doing this, reducing the overflow? Running multiple lines off of the hard plumbing? what i mean by this is maybe halfway down on the pvc, running another elbow, and maybe a ball valve so that one line goes to the sump, and another line goes to the skimmer, hopefully cutting the 800gph in half?

I dunno, im open to suggestions. I was going to just bite the bullet and run the ocean runner with the skimmer, but room is also limited in the sump, and really the only way this would fit is to have the return mag drive pump, and the skimmers ocean runner pump side by side, which i do not want to do.

Advice?

Thanks,
Jay

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
This is the area of fishkeeping I'm the least comfortable with. If I understand what you're asking though it matches something I've been told not to do. Maybe someone else will chime in with a way it will work (I hope so). Until then will it not run off a powerhead? Some great skimmers run off a simple MJ1200

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
yes, it can run off of a powerhead, but it mentions this last.. as like an only if you really need to type thing. Also, like i said there are a bit of space problems, i could fit the MJ1200 in no problem, but it would be pulling water from right next to the mag drive return pump would be pulling its water, would this have any ill affects?

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
"T" or "Y" the overflow water, run one line to the skimmer, the other to the sump. Put a valve on both lines, so that you can tune the flow rate. Don't run any wave makers which would cause a fluctuating flow rate through the overflows, as this would mess with skimmer efficiency.

Putting the pump for your skimmer in the return, will necessitate more frequent adjustment, since evaporation will affect the head pressure on the pump (which would throw off your adjustments). You also won't be getting the rawest water possible... The reason for your overflow to skim water off the surface of the display water is because that's where the proteins are; proteins bond to the water - air surface. With the pump situated the way you described, proteins will already have bonded with the water-air surfaces in your sump, which results in reduced skimmer efficiency.

Keep in mind though, most of the time you can't run a non-re-circulating venturi skimmer (or any other skimmer that works in a similar manner), unless there's a fairly significant (let's say 10+ feet? not sure) height difference between the display and the skimmer. [Note= Not 100% sure on some of the stuff in the previous sentence.] If you have a standard venturi skimmer, your gonna have to mod it into a re-circulating type.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
thank you dorkfish.

When you say run a "t" or a "y" do you mean to run to completely separate lines from the overflow box? My box only has one hole (not sure on proper terminology) to run the pvc from.

I could run in down from the hole in the box, then split it off halfway or so down, is that what you mean?

I kind of figured what you said about the pump with decreasing skimmer efficiency thats why i decided to hopefully go this route.

Im not sure how to figure out if my skimmer is re-circulating or not...... it appears to be, but i could be wrong. If i were to look up specs on it, should it be in there?

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
it seems to be a non venturi skimmer, what exactly does this mean?

I'll be honest, i no what skimmers do, and i know there importance, but i do not know much about how they work.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
"T"/"Y" off the existing line your running to the sump.

Usualy:
Recirculating = 4 holes in the skimmer body
Non-recirculating = 2 holes in skimmer body

What's your skimmers make/model? That should reveal what exactly it is. Non-venturi could mean a few different things.

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
is an Aqua Medic T1000 (turboflotor 1000)

and it does have 4 hole in the skimmer body.

ricsreef

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Louisville,Ky
I ran my PS out of my overflow for years,didnt have room in sump.It worked very well.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
It is infact a venturi skimmer... And FWIW, aquamedic's website actually recomends it be fed with the overflow water, saying it was designed to be plumbed like that.

So, you should have the oceanrunner recirculating the skimmer, and then you'll be feeding the skimmer with the overflow water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store