What Other Critters do You Own??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
I know most of us here are fish addicts, but I was just wondering what other critters the members of AC keep.

I would love to hear about your setups, any experiences you have had with exotics, and any breeding projects that you have done. Also, what got you into the hobby of herps/exotics?

I'll start with a little of my non-fish history:

I actually started with reptiles instead of fish. My first setup was a 30 gallon terrarium with anoles and firebellies...it was love at first sight. Here's a list of herps that I kept (I had to get rid of most of them due to my landlord threatening to evict me if I didn't :mad2: ):

Leucistic Texas Rat Snake (still have)
Western Hognose (still have)
Various phases of Sandboas (will always have :) )
Breeding pair of ball pythons (landlord nixed)
Breeding pair of Red Tail Boas (landlord nixed)
Bearded Dragon (Died at 13 years old)
Mali Uromastyx (Sold to friend for his breeding project)
Sumatran & Borneo Blood Pythons (landlord nixed)
Jungle Carpet Python (On loan - Breeding)
Dumeril's Boa (Have)

almostaskater62

AC Members
Jul 10, 2007
i have a bearded dragon, and i just read that yours died at 13 years old :eek:
which is both scary (because i'll be off to college in a year) and cool (because it's a really old lizard).
he's only about a year-year and a half right now, in a 20 gallon long tank. his name's rex, he's cool.

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
i have a bearded dragon, and i just read that yours died at 13 years old :eek:
which is both scary (because i'll be off to college in a year) and cool (because it's a really old lizard).
he's only about a year-year and a half right now, in a 20 gallon long tank. his name's rex, he's cool.
That's cool...they are awesome lizards. Can you take him with you to school?

Mine was a rescue that I took in when I was working at the pet store. It was hard when he died because he was almost like a dog. He followed my girlfriend and I everywhere and he would just sit on the couch with us when we would watch TV.

almostaskater62

AC Members
Jul 10, 2007
i probably could take him to school, but it's also my sisters and she's just starting high school so i imagine he would stay there. i walk around with him on my shoulder a lot, how big was yours?
also there's the factor of taking my fish to school (which are all mine, not sisters'). i'll probly only be able to manage a 20 gallon and a 2.5 betta tank, so i dunno about a bearded dragon as well...
i also might be moving across the pond at some point which would further complicate things... i dunno
i'll just enjoy him while i have him.
i wanna put him on myshoulder now haha (i'm at work, so i can't)

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
My guy was 22".

Yeah, that could be tough with two tanks and a beardie...and moving across the pond would be a tough move as well.

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
1 rose hair tarantula
1 baby chaco tarantula
Goliath birdeating tarantula(coming soon ;) )
1 leopard gecko
2 orbed weaver/zipper spider, breeding pair(they don't live together ;) )
1 wolf spider
2-3 different species of jumping spider
common garden spider
and more, but I don't remember lol

I've had:
7-8 anoles, they all died around 5 years old.
1 iguana(I love her so much, but she hated everyone of the house, she'd bite/ whip ect. but she was very sweet to me, she stay on my shoulder and go outside with me alot)

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
Right now, I have 3 fire belly newts in a 20g tank at my office.

A long time ago as a teen in high school I had a uromastyx which I loved a lot. After getting into college, i gave him to my neighbor, who gladly accepted him.

Im currently thinking about having some mudskippers.

KenyanSandBoa

Dat-O-Holic
Aug 7, 2007
Massachusetts
Nice...I want to put a set up in my office too. When I get an office that is. :)

Wow, bettagurl...that's a nice collection of arachnids you have. The goliath is probably one of my favorites.:headbang2:

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I LOVE spiders/tarantulas, but for some reason my friends don't like my room :confused: :grinno:

mamasky

AC Members
Dec 9, 2005
Reading, Pa.
I currently have:
4 cats
1 Ball Python that's about 3ft. long
1 Green Tree Frog

I've had in the past:
2 other cats
2 Green Tree Frogs
3 Schneider's Skinks
1 Africian Plated Lizard
1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (she was my baby that I adopted from work and she died from a tumor in her stomach)

Hubby and I are also debating getting a retired racing greyhound.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store