Is play-sand actually aquarium safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mexican Racoon

Se?or Member
Mar 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
I tried it once. Pour it in an old pillowcase and rinse the heck out of it.

In the end, I disliked it. It looked GREAT, but it got sucked into my gravel vac and my filter.

jonnyfry

safety first!
Mar 20, 2007
macon , ga
lowes sells play sand but its still sharp sand not the really fine stuff , i have it in my 55 and really happy with it . its easy to clean and i never saw my catfish till i changed from gravel . now i see him all the time . he loves it .

Dread

AC Members
Jun 27, 2007
It's definately safe. You just have to wash it for hours, I know I did. It looks great, and really natural, I have just two gripes about Play Sand:

The grain sizes are soo different (from pebbles to fine grain sand) that I find it very hard to vaccuum it. I can't tell what's waste and what's just the sand, so alot of sand always get sucked up since I think it is waste.

It takes forever to clean before you put it into the tank.

Aside from those two negatives, it's great. My fish love it.

indigoj

seem to have a growing fish collect
Jul 21, 2007
Manchester UK
I got lovely clean fine play sand from Toymaster near me and it looks gorgeous. Just got 3 albino corys and they love it.

KidInTheHall

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
I used a little in a 10 gallon and I didn't like it as much as the pool filter sand I have in my 55g.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
No problem....go for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store