Suggestions for amelioration of my tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
I'm not that happy with my tank so I'm trying to get a few suggestions here on what I could do with this setup, there it is:

It'll be a cichlid tank, I'd appreciate it a whole lot, thanks.

Malak

AC Members
Jun 19, 2007
no one? :(

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I don't care for the mixture of rocks....looks like indecision.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i agree, like you went to the LFS and bought everything they had in three differet styles.

I prefer the grey rocks on the right, and the flat rocks, though i would go with a thinner slate insted of those thick ones. the round white ones should go. i like the driftwood, but it seems like those elements could be mixed together more smoothly instead of having separate sections for each. for example, when you do a rock pile, use layers of round rocks and layers of slate to make bigger caves and raise up the focal point, because everything is very low to the bottom. also, maybe you'd like to add some large hardy plants or plastic plants to increase the diversity of color and draw the eye upwards into the top half of the tank.

Mexican Racoon

Se?or Member
Mar 13, 2005
Memphis, TN
Lose the rocks on the left, they just look like they are taking up space without being beneficial to the fish. Maybe use one as a support piece for a cave or something. Also, dont set it up like a family photo. Avoid centering anything, and don't group things or order them by size or anything, that is, if you are going for a natural look. As mentioned above, some well placed plants will change it all.

Charlie Greiner

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
I agree that the arrangement is not ideal but that is what you are wanting to change. Maybe look through the tank of the month photos going back awhile to get some ideas.

Charlie

MySpace Mike

MySpace Mike Creative Media Founder
Jul 8, 2007
Denver, CO.
www.myspace.com
Depends on what type of cichlids you plan on getting. CA/SA Cichlid set up would be different than say an African Cichlid set up. For one I say lose some of the rocks, add some plants for a natural effect. Also maybe dome drift wood. My 55g is a Central American Cichlid Tank with Jack Dempseys, but I have a mixture of drift wood, plants, and rocks, then my gravel bed. Personally I prefer to make my tanks as close to their natural habitat in the wild. So again it all depends on what type of cichlids you plan on getting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store