Marine Build Log/Big DIY Weekend: sump, weir box, stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
(More of todays Tropical DIY here - PVC Overflows)

New marine tank is coming along.

Modified the stand, drilled holes to match tank, removed central support for sump and strengthened.

The first sump I tried was in perspex, using rubber seals so I could move then, failed badly, perspex was too thin, I had to get some glass cut for the weir box anyway, so got some for the sump at the same time.

Next was the weir box, on the side and the top there will be a comb to skim the surface, and at the front there is a hole at the bottom so it takes water from the bottom of the tank aswell. The hole in the right is for the return from the sump.

Nick

Last edited:

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Lots of changes, I had to take all the glass out and resilicon it, Ive got 40lb more live sand to go in, and then arrange the live rock, and get some macro algae for the sump. Its getting there.

Yesterday:

Today:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Looking superb so far mate...good thread..

Lets play a little game....

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with D and ends in S....oh, and i see two of them...

Niko

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Just a question...why are you keeping the outlet for the overflow drain so far down? I feel like the water pouring that far down must make a fair amount of noise.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
damsels niko?

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
I spy with my little eye, something beginning with D and ends in S....oh, and i see two of them...
electric blue damsels....:huh: good/bad/ugly?

why are you keeping the outlet for the overflow drain so far down
Its actually silent.....the only thing I can hear from the tank is the skimmer :grinyes:

coolnicks

AC Members
Mar 23, 2007
Re-arranged already, felt id got most of the dust out of the live sand.

Now....the sand bed.....too deep or ok?

Must get some more live rock aswell....

EDIT: Oh, and I got rid of the black hiding the water line, I think it makes the tank look taller without it, not being very tall as it is already. I want a taller/bigger tank already

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store