Help me identify my powerheads

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I have two old powerheads that came with my 210g tank and I have no idea what they are. Only one has markings (Powerhead 802) and has "made in Italy" stamped on it. The other one is a complete mystery...no markings at all. The 802 makes some noise but doesn't move water (any ideas?) but the other one seems to work just fine and moves a good bit of water.
Any help is appreciated!!
Robbie

powerheads-001.jpg powerheads-002.jpg powerheads-003.jpg powerheads-004.jpg powerheads-005.jpg

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Well the one that tries to work appears to be an Aquaclear 70 powerhead...so I know what that one is.
But I'm still at a loss for the other one.
Robbie

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
The 802 is a Hagen 802 (bottom of the page):
http://www.thehiddenreef.com/saltwa...m_supplies_reef_products/hagen_powerheads.htm

If it's making noise (clacking sound?) but not moving any water, something is probably wrong with the impellar. It may need a real good cleaning, or it could be damaged / bent. A replacement impellar (the paddle wheel looking thing inside attached to the magnet) should be available.
It is making a clacking type of sound...initially it did nothing. So I took it apart (you'd be amazed at the number of things I've fixed by taking them apart and putting them back together), pulled out the impeller and magnet and put it back. I plugged it in briefly out of the water and it spun but made noise. Put it back together and put it in the water and it made the same noise but moved no water. Would a new impeller fix that?
Thanks for the reply!!!
Robbie

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Try taking a tooth brush after the impeller, the whole area etc.. Also inside the housing. Give it a good scrub down first and see if that solves the problem. I have found that when these are out of the water for a while they have a tendency to gum up and a good cleaning normally fixes the issue. Also run the parts under water and make sure the impeller spins freely on the rod before putting it back together. If not a new impeller should fix the problem.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Try taking a tooth brush after the impeller, the whole area etc.. Also inside the housing. Give it a good scrub down first and see if that solves the problem. I have found that when these are out of the water for a while they have a tendency to gum up and a good cleaning normally fixes the issue. Also run the parts under water and make sure the impeller spins freely on the rod before putting it back together. If not a new impeller should fix the problem.
Thanks..I'll try and clean it. If not I'll try the new impeller....cheaper than a new powerhead, I suppose.
Thanks again
Robbie

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
No problem, and my pleasure.. Hope you can get it working. The biggest thing is to soak that impeller and scrub it down. Then check to see if it spins once you get it clean. If the rod has any extra metal sticking out, slide the magnet and impeller along the rod to help "degunk" the rod.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If you can get it spinning properly I/d suggest giving a good final cleaning in a vinegar bath. I put mine in a bucket of vinegar solution and let them run in it. Then rinsed them and let them run in a plain water bath to rinse throughly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store