Help needed to remove 0.25 of ammonia in discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
Hi all,:)
Well, I have been going bonkers for more than 1 week now :mad2: trying to get my ammonia level to 0. I went away for almost 3 weeks and when I came back, my ph had crashed (went from 6.8 to 5). I believe as a result, I started having slight ammonia in my 80 gallon. While away I had an aquaclear running with chemipure in it and I suspect that the ammonia came when I removed it. Not sure though.... Anyway, I also had a newly formed discus pair and eggs too...(neat!!!!)
Since then, I have tried everything: BIO SPIRA, I do daily 40% WC, I added ammo chips in my aqua clear, and at this point I hardly feed my poor starved discus. My tank is really understocked (5 discus, 5 cories, 15 cardinals and 5 ABNs). It's bare bottom. I run a sponge filter and an Eheim PRO 3 2076 on it.
My water params:
0 nitrite
0.25 of ammonia/ammonium
84 F
10 nitrates
6.8 or 7 PH
Does anyone have any idea what else I could do?????
I also just cleaned my filter. How can I get ammonia and 0 nitrite???? I don't get it!!!! I will add 2 more discus in about 8 weeks so I am worried about my water!
Any feedback is more than welcome!!:help:
Sophie

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What dechlorinator are you using? What kind of test kit?

What is the ammonia reading on your tap water, and for that matter, the tap pH?

bderick67

"need more tanks"
Feb 9, 2007
Wonderful Colorado
I would guess one of two things, either your test kit is inaccurate or the water you have been doing W/Cs with has chloramines in it.

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
increase water changes to 60-70%....

you've hit a mini cycle, sit it out and do the graft, in a week or so it will be fine....

seachem prime is known to detoxify ammonia, i would use that for your dechlorinator
Hi,
I would use Prime but was under the impression that I might get "false" ammonia readings... Is that true???

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
I would guess one of two things, either your test kit is inaccurate or the water you have been doing W/Cs with has chloramines in it.
Hi,
I have tried 3 different test kits so......I use Ultimate which takes care of everything: ammonia, chloramine, chlorine, heavy metals, etc... BTW, there is NO ammonia in my tap water.

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
What dechlorinator are you using? What kind of test kit?

What is the ammonia reading on your tap water, and for that matter, the tap pH?
Hi,
I use Ultimate, which takes care of everything including ammonia, chloramines, etc.... I have used 3 test kits: API, Red Sea and Seachem. My tap water has 0 ammonia in it...I know, that's too weird!!!! The PH is 6.8.

angel68

AC Members
May 3, 2007
increase water changes to 60-70%....

you've hit a mini cycle, sit it out and do the graft, in a week or so it will be fine....

seachem prime is known to detoxify ammonia, i would use that for your dechlorinator
Be careful with the buckets (I used them for 2 years), I killed my back like that and I now have arthritis assorted with an inflammation of a joint. Honestly, get a python, they are a breeze to use!!!!! I am not even allowed to lift a bucket anymore!!!!!

Sophie

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store