My 30gal FOWLR/Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
I finally got my tank!!!

Here is what I have set-up so far,

30gal long tank w/built in black corner overflow, 2 drilled returns, black silicone and back painted black..
10-gal AGA DIY sump underneath
RioAqua 2100 for return pump
RioAqua 1400 for Powerhead (only for now...)
50# of fine grade sand, about 40# in display with 10# in sump
45lbs Un-cured Live Fiji from liveaquaria.com

So I got everything up to my new apartment, and started getting to work...

I immediately painted the back of the tank black, and then once it dried i mounted the 2 1" return bulkheads and the 1.5" overflow bulkhead..

Then I ran all my plumbing between the display and sump and connected my return pump...

Once that was all done, I went ahead and added the sand and then the live rock to the tank...

The rock that I received was pretty good... I had about 2-3 really large pieces, 2-3 medium and tons of fragments which i was kinda dissapointed about... However, there was a small coral frag on one of the rocks... Will it grow back??

Anyway, I put the sand in the tank, sloping down from the back to the front.. Then I started my aquascape... I really like it the way it is right now... But im pretty figity so it might get re-arranged...

I aimed my lockline and turned everything on....

I originally had an RioAqua 1400 pushing the returns but I quickly realized that was not enough flow... So I went and got the 2100... This is much better but I am still going to want 2 koralia 1's in the tank for more water movement...

Currently the 1400 is hanging in the display creating additional water movement.. Even though the 2100 is pushing 375 at 4 feet... That is still no where near enough water movement...

Right now I am back home for three days finishing up work, letting the cycle in my tank start... As I look back, I probably should have put a prawn or something in there to help it along, but im sure the die off will suffice... When I checked my parameters before I came home I got Ammonia: .25 and Nitrite .25... SG 1.022

I don't have my light yet (which I heard you can cycle with no light).. I have a Nova T-5 Extreme fixture with 4x39watts... 2 460nm actinic and 2 10k sumlight... and 3 lunar lights... Today I am also going to go to my LFS and get 2 koralia 1's.. primarily to replace that huge rectangular rioaqua that i have in there pushing some water around....

Any questions or comments are definetely welcome...

I want to create this thread and make it a resource for potential beginners in reef like myself...

Pics soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
The rock that I received was pretty good... I had about 2-3 really large pieces, 2-3 medium and tons of fragments which i was kinda dissapointed about... However, there was a small coral frag on one of the rocks... Will it grow back??
There is a good possibility of growing back yes...its all dependant on how well the rock travelled, how long out of water etc etc

I don't have my light yet (which I heard you can cycle with no light)..
For sure, you really dont need a light on while cycling..

I think you off to a superb start in my opinion...Starting a log thread is always a good idea for letting people follow the progress, and to learn new things from seeing how its setup...

Pictures speak a thousand words... hint hint

Great start...

Niko

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Ya, I did kind of a pre-move thing... Got all my big stuff moved in and the important stuff (the tank) too! I just forgot my camera though...
I will have pictures as soon as possible!

Will the die off be enough to start the cycle?? The rock was shipped Wed delivered Friday, and Set-up in the tank Sat. There was probably quite a bit of die off?? But is it enough to begin the cycle without adding any extra means of stuff rotting?

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
Well, here are the pics as promised...

here is my tank on its stand...

here is a close up with only the lunar lights on....

here is my tank with the actinic and daylight t5s on...

some of the rockscape...

angle from the front left towards the back right...

shot of my diy overflow silencer... SILENT!!

shot from the right side...

10 gal diy sump...

so i had some questions... i put the shrimp in there today, because when i arrived and checked my parameters afer being away for a couple days i found: 0 ammo, 0 trites and 10 trates

was my cycle completed? i doubt it.... should i take the shrimp that i put in there today out???

also, im starting to set up my little 3 gal eclipse quarantine tank that i had laying around... what do i need in it... do i need sand and a small amount of live rock??? or do i just literally have bare bottom with a piece of pvc or two...

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Leave the shrimp in there untill your ammonia has risen to its peak and started to fall...when its falling, you can take it out as its served its purpose...

Yes, all you need is bare bottom and pvc pipe, heater and a little filter...some people keep the filter material in the main tank or sump somewhere as it will keep the bacteria alive on it....

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store