Cold water fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kaosfere

AC Members
Jul 23, 2007
Chicagoland
MTS is striking.

I'm thinking about setting up a tank at work. The only problem is that heating devices are considered to pose a fire hazard here, and against safety code -- so I'd be limited to coldwater fish.

I'm really not too fond of goldfish. What other coldwater fish are commonly available that would be active and interesting in a 10-20 gallon tank?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
paradise fish can be kept at room temperature. they are related to gouramis and bettas. (a betta needs heated water). heterandria formosa, the 'least killifish' is another choice. they are very tiny fish which can easily be kept in a small (under 5g) tank. they would probably get lost in a larger tank. a school of white cloud minnows (maybe half normal color and half albino) and a large-ish snail would be good in a 10-20g tank.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
White clouds are a great cool water fish. I have kept mine at 65F before (a cold basement). They can take the heat a bit if you have plenty of water mov't. I would stick to a 20 gallon to get a proper sized school and really see great behaviour from them.

teleost

AC Members
Jan 27, 2005
chicagoland
I'm also a fan of least killifish but darters will also provide you with great fun. If you need a supplier for darters just let me know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store