In sump skimmer?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Any input on this skimmer:

Berlin Turbo XL

AND: is in sump still efficient? In other words, the skimmer is supposed to remove the DOCs before the w/d has to break them down so that it reduces the load on the w/d. BUT, if the water already passed thru the w/d, aren't the DOCs already broken down?

Richard.

P.S. BigAls has it for $36 less but, I use Drs. F&S web page to post the link here since the BigAls page doesn't display correctly

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not all of the DOC's will be caught by bacteria in a single pass. Some of them will continue through the system, to be picked up by the skimmer. In sump skimmers are very effective--ours pulls out some nasty sludge each week. Berlins are some of the better skimmers, IMO.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
Drain Line?

First off, Brian, I went with the Berlin, but thank you for the info.

Regarding the Berlin (or probably most skimmers), my question is regarding the optional drain line from the collection cup.

I haven't set it up yet (obviously my tank is not s/w yet) but:
Is it efficient to just have the drain tube lead (downhill) to a garbage can next to the sump and have all of the "sludge" just drain into the can? Will that mean hardly ever having to clean out the collection cup? Can the "sludge" easily move down the tube or will the tube easily clog up?

Thanks.
Richard.
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store