New to chichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
I have a 30g tank and im thinking about stocking it with chichlids, im very new to them but im very interested. I love their colors. Could someone give me a run down on some important information. I dont know the species, all i know is that they are african chichlids. What could i mix with them, how many could i get, and all other info is welcomed. Im about to leave to take my 6'' loach to a store that is willing to take him. Please fill me in on all the info you guys have about chichlids.

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
Would perfer something that didnt get that big, like 2-4 inchs or smaller. I would rather have several, than a few big.

Also, i plan to plant the tank, any suggestions, i already have the substrate ready.

:headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2: :headbang2:

cichlidsrextrem

MOST METAL FISHKEEPER
Jul 26, 2007
VA
nah get some tanganikian shell dwellers there super small thats what i got done doin 2 day its already cycled cuz i had 3 big africans in there b4 sold them and i have 3 neopamprogus brechardi in it i have a bunch of shellys and stuff n the way its a 30 gal 2 u might wanna read up a bit on tangs pretty big amount of them

tarheels910

Malawi Maniac
Jul 6, 2006
Concord, NC
nah get some tanganikian shell dwellers there super small thats what i got done doin 2 day its already cycled cuz i had 3 big africans in there b4 sold them and i have 3 neopamprogus brechardi in it i have a bunch of shellys and stuff n the way its a 30 gal 2 u might wanna read up a bit on tangs pretty big amount of them
He said he loves their colors and he wants to mix them. I think he is referring to mbunas.

jamthoyoung

AC Members
Mar 3, 2007
Check out the cichlid database and surf the web for research before picking anything up. Most african cichlids won't do well in a 30, once they have grown full size. Some are mildly aggressive, some extremely - especially if territory is limited.

Is upgrading to a larger tank an option? :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store