How large do acei cichlids get? The purple one with yellow fins?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
I'm considering adding this fish along with a electric yellow to my 55g tank if it doesnt grow too large. I'm in the process of converting the 55g semi-aggressive tank to a cichlid tank. Thanks for any help.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
Acei are some bad fish, the only thing i would put with them is foood IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
We just got one a couple weeks ago, it depends what site you look at, somewhere between 4 and 7 inches....:)

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
yea, i see the size listed varies on diff websites. I figured i would ask about it on this forum.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
About the same size as other Malawian Cichlids.........:)

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
Yep, approximately, my neighbor has some yellows that are 4 years old at 5 inches..Water conditions and food play a big part in growth.......:)

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Yea, im trying to collect various cichlids that dont grow too large, I plan on keeping 1 of a kind to make it different.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
Remember your 55 will turn out to be more like a 45 after all the decorations and stuff are added, 10 full grown cichlids would be cozy.....:)

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
Yea, i see. I'm still alittle new to cichlids and fish in general. My stock list is not recommended either. For example i have 1 small firemouth, 1 krib, and 3 young keniys that were given to me. Plan on giving away 2 out of the 3 kenys thou. Would like to keep a female. I also have a few diff semi-aggressive fish mixed in.
I'm doing a slow transfer of fish that dont belong and putting in diff tank.
And i know i shouldnt have S.A. and Africans mixed. I just liked the Firemouth when i saw it. I'll have some issues as they grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store