help, strange alien creatures in my tank!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ashlee'n'neal

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
Hey all! Ok, we've had our 10-gallon for about 3 months and it finally finished cycling, nitrates still a little high but ok. We had a few fish that survived the process and decided it was time to get a few more buddies for our neon tetra. On Sunday we brought home 4 more who seemed to be adapting well enough. Now, we know we're a few days (2-3) due for a water change, but 24 hours after adding new fish, now we have all these little "things" growing all over our tank! ... not sure if plant, animal, or algae...
:eek:
They're tiny, about 1/8" high in all, and translucent white, with a thicker stalk and 5 or 6 hairlike threads growing out of the tops. They don't seem to be migrating but now there are probably hundreds growing all over our gravel, plastic (but not real) plants, and our fake rock.

Did alien life forms just come lay their eggs in my poor aquarium?? Help!
:help:

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
yeah, sounds like a hydra. they probably sprung up due to the spike in amonia and waste. they are really common, and hard to get rid of. they multiply quickly.

I use a 1/4" airline as a siphon, and suck them out when I see them. they will sting your fish, and have been said to be able to kill fry, although I've seen my cherry barbs try to eat one and spit it out like it's fire, and run away, but never die.

ashlee'n'neal

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
Yuck, yes, that's it! Okay, so I need to suck them up & do a water change asap, right? how do you get rid of them?

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
so its not a plant, but its not an animal... its like..... both.

weird man.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store