betta fin rot!! HELP!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ckck92

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
i came back from school today and noticed my betta tail fins are rotting.. bad... What should i do? what is causing the problem? Tank is cycled, its a 5.5g cube with 5danios and one male betta. I dose 1ml of sera florena(plant ferts) per day. The bottle says 5ml/week for every 20litres, so instead i did 1ml every day to prevent algae bloom. please please :help: !

thank you..

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
first off, a 5.5 cube is DEFINATELY too small for danios. I wouldn't put them in anything smaller than a 15-20 gallon. they are much tooo active.

and since they are cramped they are probably harrassing your betta.. so i'd agree that theres a good chance its fin nipping and not fin rot.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I disagree about the size of the tank for danios. They're active, but tiny.

The thing is - they can be some of the meanest little *******s I have ever seen. I would never put them in with a betta. In fact, I wouldn't even own them anymore. Been there, done that. Wasn't impressed.

It's definitely nipping.

Someone has to go. And once the betta is happily alone, make sure to keep up with good water changes and possibly use a little Bettafix. He should heal up.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
There has been an eternal debate about this. I personally feel that regardless of their activity level, such a tiny fish doesn't require much space to be happy. There used to be a huge school of them in a friend's ten gallon and they lived, thrived and played along for many years without appearing the slightest bit unhappy.

That doesn't make it a fact of course. You could be quite right...after all, we don't get to ask the danios their opinion about anything.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
i feel like its puttin a 5' cheetah in a 20' long by 10' wide cage. Sure the cheetah can run for 3 steps, turn around, run another 3 steps, turn around... and so on. and He'll appear happy, meaning he'll eat and live. But should you keep one in that?

ckck92

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
im pretty sure its fin rot. I might be a newb but i can differenciate fin rot and nipping. I hav kept the danios and betta together for over a month without any harassment plus :perv: *my tetras nipped on my betta once* . I do not have any water readings, though, its been cycled for a couple of months now and have been doing WC every week since.

=) now.. back to fin rot problem.. :help: !

CC917

AC Members
Aug 22, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I personally had a male betta and have tried to put him in a commuinty tank. He wasn't doing well in community tank, as he was chasing all other fish. Then I moved him to a 10G tank with 2 cory catfish. He was still stressed by being with other fish in the same tank.

In both cases my betta had fin/tail rot. I had to treat betta with anti-bacteria medicine. I tried a few products and found the best one is Furan-2 by AP!. It worked well after a complete treatment (4 dosage). As soon as you see the fin stop shredding, you may stop medication or use it every 2 days. In the meantime it's important to keep betta's water very clean. He will recover himself if the water condition is right.

Betta seems to do best when living alone in a tank. After several trials in the past I now have my betta live in a 3G filtered tank with 2 little live plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store