Filter Choices

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bladeruner143

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
So I just bought a 100G fish tank and stand today for $120! :headbang2: The only problem now is that I wasn't expecting to have a tank so big, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Now, I am completely lost as to what kind of filtration I am going to have. I know I will for sure have some LR, but I need suggestions for different kinds of filtration devices. Price is an issue and I have no problem buying used equipment. PLEASE HELP!!! :help:

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
You could always get 100-150#s of live rock and use that for filtration. Look on Craigslist and in your local club for deals. Be patient and collect what you need on rock, equipment, etc. before you start and know that not filling the tank until you gather it will be better for you in the end.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Yeah, thats what I am planning. Grins, is it possible to have LR as your ONLY source of filtration?
absolutly....most reefs only use live rock as the source of filtration, when kept in the the range of 1 - 1.5lbs of live rock per gallon of water......its one of them things that simply works, and works well....

Also, with the setup above, some people still run a cannister filter, "without" the media, and run nutrient removal media like phosphate removal or carbon, and the flow rate of the filter also add's onto your tanks overall circulation turn over too...Personally, i never used a cannister filter on as i never had any need to use nutrient removal besides macro alage in the refugium...

Niko

bladeruner143

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
Niko, if I want to run a FOWLR setup first, then eventually shift to a reef tank, what would be the easiest method of doing so? The tank I am buying is not pre-drilled nor do I know yet if it can be drilled (tempered glass can't be drilled correct?). Right now I have a 30G FOWLR that I am planning on transferring to the larger tank. Can I get away with only using the 40lbs of LR with the same amount of animals in a larger tank? I don't plan on adding any livestock anytime soon.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I use the canister filter method that Niko wrote about. I had the canister filter first so it made sense for me. I'd not necessarily recommend it if you're buying everything from scratch. Not that it is bad..just that I think the money could be used elsewhere.

If you're only going to use 40#s of rock you'll need a good filter. You'll also want powerheads yes. About 10x turnover for a FOWLR, or about 1000gph in your case. With the Koralias I like you could use 2 of their #2s for 1200 gph total. Although personally I like more flow and for a little more money I'd go with 2 #4s. Examples of them here: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18553/cl0/powerheadshydor?viewType=Category

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store