using crushed coral to raise pH...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
.... works! no jokes.

My pH was at 6.2 and just because i am a perfectionist i would like to keep my tank at 6.6. as a nice happy medium.(please no one comment on me not needing to raise it, i already know that)

anyway, i decided to try and use a couple of tablespoons of crushed coral from my friends cichlid tank and put it in a nylon stocking in a media basket.

i hadn't tested my pH right away, but its been a little over a week and i finally had time, and my pH rose from the normal 6.2 to 7.4, with just 2 tablespoons of crushed coral. amazing.:eek3:

so anyway, yeah if anyone wants to raise their pH, use crushed coral for sure.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I use 40 pounds of the stuff...lol..........:)

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
I use 40 pounds of the stuff...lol..........:)
out of control. whats your pH?

im wondering how little of this stuff i have to use to raise my pH to 6.6. right now im trying about 1 teaspoon. we'll see how it goes.

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007
I checked it yesterday, it was 7.8........:)

Weezer

Mar 2, 2007

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
crushed coral,,hmmmmm. What exactly is it and where would a guy with only a walmart for fish stuff get some?/
It's used a substrate alternative to gravel. Many people who keep cichlids go with crushed coral to keep their pH up.

I doubt walmart would have this, but you never know.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Add it to your filter

sspitfire

AC Members
Aug 12, 2007
MD
I just picked up a bag of it today to add to my tanks because my KH is so low, and wouldn't be a problem but it is so low that on 4 days without a water change my PH crashed. So when you figure out how much it takes in your filter to just up it a little bit, let me know!

Or is there a set number that the coral will raise it to- does that make sense?
My ph is naturally 7.4 which I don't really want to mess with- I just want my KH up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store