Aquaclear 300 Buzzing?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I just changed my substrate from gravel to sand. Now that theres sand in the tank, my aquaclear 300 makes a buzzing noise. I checked to see if there was sand in the motor (im not sure what the correct terminology is, basically its that piece that comes out that looks like a little fan, in the motor).

Does anyone know why its buzzing?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
You could take it apart clean everything very well. clean off the magnet and impeller {fan thing} ..........:)

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
The little fan is an impeler it takes water and spins it around forceing it throught the out put. it may be a bushing or some thing stuck in the output side of the pick up.

or i might justbe vibrating the whole unit making noise.

and once again i have typed too slow.

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
it actually stopped buzzing and everything was nice and quiet like it used to be, and now this morning, its buzzing again. Should I just get another filter or what?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Did you take it apart and clean it ?.....:)

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
I bet you didn't let the tank settle before running the filter and some of the sand got sucked into the impeller and scored it. I've had this happen before. You may have to replace the impeller and/or the motor to get it to stop. Drsfosterandsmith.com have decent prices on both.

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
yeah i didnt unplug the filter when putting in the sand like an idiot. So i guess i'll get an impeller, see if that works any. But then again i could just get another 300, i could grab it for $20 used. or 2 for $35

SDRANGER619

something more family oriented.....
Sep 1, 2004
San Diego, CA (El Cajon)
put a sponge over the intake to help prevent it from happening again.
How do you hold it in place? A rubber band? (Is it safe?) I've thought of this because my HOB filter make a little noise because of sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store