Convict + Amano Shrimp = Compatibility??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
I'm picking up some convicts tomorrow for my 40 gallon tank in which i have sand as the substrate. I was recommended Amano Shrimp to help shuffle the sand and keep it clean. Amano Shrimp are known to be peaceful and Convicts are kind of aggressive. Would it be a mistake to put them both in the same tank?

Sonjamo

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
So what do you suggest to keep a convict tank with sand substrate clean?

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
ghost shrimp if you want shrimp. they're much cheaper, so you won't feel your pocket book hurting as much when they do get eaten.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Or MTS. Those would work nicely and they would hopefully help keep the sand from developing anaerobic pockets.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
i'd say that snails wouldn't have any problem with the fish. i'm not sure how good of a job they'd do with your task however.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
They do a pretty thorough job of shuffling it...I think they're keeping my sand clean in the Swordtail tank, but I'm not entirely sure.

zpromoter

AC Members
Jun 15, 2009
Convicts are also known to be "diggers" the way it is. If your convict is like mine, you should have no problem with the sifting of your sand. If you still feel the need, the chopstick idea is great but I would stay away from the shrimp if you wanted them to live. I feed my convict ghost shrimp all the time, he loves shrimp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store