angelfish and discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Plan on a large tank since they are both very vertical fish. And alternate plans in case you get some pairs forming up.

davexstumpe

AC Members
Mar 8, 2007
for how many?

i would say 75 would be the smallest i would put them both in. Give some extra space so they aren't on top of each other.

I'd go with a 90, IMO

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It will depend on how many of each you are looking at. I prefer the extra height of a 90, but many folks keep lower numbers in 55s.

Lukee

*Legend*
Jun 23, 2007
Aussie Land
55 would be enough if low numbers but if you want a nice school and cardinals etc.. 125 would be really nice show tank

Tolak

AC Members
Aug 18, 2007
Chicago, Il
The things you have to watch are feeding and aggression. Discus are slower eaters, more of a grazing fish, while healthy angels will gobble their food. This aggressive eating by the angels can sometimes stress the discus.

Angels seem to get aggressive at a younger age than discus, another thing that can stress the discus. The best way to keep them together is to get the discus, and let them settle in and get a little size to them. Introduce the younger angels after a quar period, this is one of the few times I would medicate a well fish. Discus are quite sensitive to internal protizoans & parasites, a round of metro followd by prazi would be a good idea for the angels before introducing them into the discus tank.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
Actually the most important thing to consider when putting discus and angels together is Discus size and tank size. Baby discus do not do well in community set up. If you get a tank large enough to accommodate Discus and angels you will need to start with discus at least 4" or larger. Angels of all sizes are aggressive eaters while small discus are timid around other fish. My first thought would be get the tank set up and cycled then get some healthy adult discus from a reputable breeder. give them a month or so then when you know they are acclimated and doing fine start with a few small angels(always QT fish that are going in with discus) and see where it goes from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store