Stocking List for Reef 125 Gallons

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
So far I was thinking of:

2 Clown Fish (Not sure which type, any suggestions welcome)
1 Blue Hippo Tang
School of Fish xD (I would like to try to get a group of unique looking fish)
1 large display fish (a suggestion for this would also be great)

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I'd go for true Percs for the clowns, can't beat them in my opinion. Having said that i've got a pair of black Ocellaris lol! You have quite a few choices for the schooling fish. Damsels, Chromis, maybe try a school of Firefish, Bangaii Cardinals moght work aswell. The large display fish could be one of the bigger Angels, a trigger (Picasso maybe, agressive fish though), or you could try a Volitans Lionfish, gorgeous fish in my opinion, but will eat anything that fits in it's mouth lol.

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Good point, forget it was a reef tank.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
I'd go for true Percs for the clowns, can't beat them in my opinion. Having said that i've got a pair of black Ocellaris lol! You have quite a few choices for the schooling fish. Damsels, Chromis, maybe try a school of Firefish, Bangaii Cardinals moght work aswell. The large display fish could be one of the bigger Angels, a trigger (Picasso maybe, agressive fish though), or you could try a Volitans Lionfish, gorgeous fish in my opinion, but will eat anything that fits in it's mouth lol.
Great suggestions. I adore black Ocellaris! Could I have a regular ocellaris and a black/white one together? I think the contrast in colors would be pretty cool.

Firefish can school? I have always liked those. How many can I fit in my tank to school together?

A pretty Angel sounds nice also. Although I heard a lot arn't reef safe. Any suggestions on a nice large Angel fish that won't harm my corals?

missc4

Fishy love
Mar 14, 2007
VA
I think it depends on the fish because I have a picasso trigger in my tank and it is not what I would call a reef simply because I don't have alot of corals yet but he doesn't bother the corals,snails.crabs,or sea stars I have.
I have a pair of baby maroon and gold clowns.They have always been my favorite in clowns.Although the black clowns are soooo pretty too.Wish I could have both in my tank.
Display fish,,I reallt like the tangs.Especially the sailfin.Or even a foxface.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
If I had a 125g and was thinking along those lines I'd tweak it towards:

2 Tomato Clowns (although you could do any I believe)
1 Achilles Tang
1 Scopas or Purple Tang
5-6 Anthias, probaby Bartlett's or Lyretails (only one male of any)

So far I was thinking of:

2 Clown Fish (Not sure which type, any suggestions welcome)
1 Blue Hippo Tang
School of Fish xD (I would like to try to get a group of unique looking fish)
1 large display fish (a suggestion for this would also be great)

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I would do a school of blue chromis OR a school of anthias.

pinktail triggers are Suppost to be reef safe.

as far as clowns try something cool like naked clowns or picassos, davinnci's or blacks.

you could do a display angel (have to monitor w/ coral though)either a midnight angel or leemonpeel bi-colors are also pretty nice. Let us know what you decide.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Thank you guys for all the help so far.

Here is my current list:

2 Clowns (1 Reg False + 1 Black/White False)
5-6 Bartlett Anthias
1 Tang- I can't decide between the Hippo and Achilles now xD
Yellow Tang

James Walton

AC Members
Aug 28, 2011
go ahead and add the pintail triger,true clowns tend to not be on other fish menue,lion fish is also a great suggestion if you have a reef,yellow tang would be more of a native fish for your selections of tank inhabitants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store