Compact Fluorescent Fixtures

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Hey everyone...........I'm wanting my 55g tank to be all planted eventually. I currently have 3 bundles of Wisteria, and 4 bundles of Asian Ambulia. My Wisteria isn't looking too well. I had an air stone going, but I removed it last night because I read that it isn't needed, especially in planted tanks. Now, my question is about lighting. I currently have 2 24" regular hoods with 15 watt bulbs, making it 30 watts total for my 55g. After looking on here, I realize that isn't nearly enough lighting for a planted tank. So, I'm wondering about Compact Flourescent FIxtures. I notice they stay above the tank and there isn't a cover really over the water. Is this safe, and will I have to worry about my fish jumping out or any chemicals from the air getting into my tank? I was looking at getting this 48" fixture:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=9871&N=2004+113345

Would this be a good solution?

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Well, price isn't much of an issue right now, and I'd rather not do a retrofit if at all possible. Do I have to buy those legs that hold it up over the water? Is that all that covers the tank?

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
having never used a light fixture style like that i'm not sure. but i think it comes with it.

aparker2005

AC Members
Apr 15, 2007
Arkansas
Ok, so I've decided I'm going to go with this 48" light fixture. Now, would it be better to get a glass cover for my tank, or should I just get the mounting lets and just let it sit above the water with no glass cover? I have angels, mollys, guppies, platys, black phantom tetras, and corys in my tank, so I'm not really worried about my fish jumping out. I'm more worried about stuff like air freshener or household cleaning products getting in the water. Will it be safe to not have a cover?

This will put my lighting at 130 watts in my 55g. Are the bulbs that come with this lighting fixture okay? Will this fixture light my entire aquarium better than the two 18" bulbs I have now? Any other information I need to know before I purchase this fixture? Thanks!

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
i would get glass covers just to prevent jumpers.

BradE

Fish Addict
Aug 1, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Well, price isn't much of an issue right now, and I'd rather not do a retrofit if at all possible. Do I have to buy those legs that hold it up over the water? Is that all that covers the tank?
there are different styles of legs available. I have the quad-bulb version of the light you're looking at, and I used the legs that let you have a glass top on the tank.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
All my tanks have glass tops. I also use only AH Supply when it comes compacts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store