Cycle questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-LeG[A]cY-

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
Readings from 2 days ago:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: <20

This mornings readings:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <20

What the heck is going on? I figured my cycle would be close to done so I hope it's not starting over.

Dustin83

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Orange County, CA
Yeah it could just be that you already have bacteria colony but just not enough. It's a test of patience. Leave the shrimp (or whatever else you're using to cycle) in there for bit longer. Keep checking parameters, and wait till ammonia and nitrite completely hit 0 and stay 0 for few days. Then you can do multiple partial water change to get rid of nitrate and then start adding livestocks.

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
You dont have to get rid of nitrates, they are only toxic to fish it large amounts. To completed the nitrogen cycle the nitrates will denitrify into nitrogen gas. This takes sand beds. It also feeds plants, and all that ****

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Its not overly the fish you need to waorry about with Nitrates, its the corals and inverts who are more succeptable to the effects of them. Fish can live happily in nitrates of about 40ppm and show zero effects from it. However, corals and inverts should be in a tank that is no higher than around 15ppm..

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store