Saw an interesting Betta set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Yesterdan I was visiting a small garden supply/new-age type set up here in town, a few streets west of the Co-op/.5 block south of Kelly's Brew Pub (if you know Albuquerque). A young woman clerk and I were talking about the fascinating things in her shop and I said I like to look in such places for things for my aquariums. She said something about a betta set up and it took me a minute or two to see what she was talking about. I should have taken a picture. It was a heavy, clear-glass cylinder, maybe 1 foot diameter, maybe 10-12 inches high, with the water level some 2" below the top of the container. In it was a large single water hiacynth (like those that clog some water ways in some states) with 4-5 leaves. I mentined that I thought it was too dark in the buildingfor that full-sun plant (though our "full sun" can be very strong). The clerk said, "We've had it for two weeks..." so maybe it will work.

Then I noticed among the copious root system a flash of aquamarine blue. It turned out to be a betta, mostly blue, with some red. He was having the time of his life. It was a great set up for him. Lots of room to swim but also the fine, flowing roots to hide in. His fins were flowing as he bounced along.

The clerk was justifiably proud. "He even blows bubbles some times!" Having read enough on bettas to know I'm not ready for one, I could tell however her what that meant. She was pleased. She also didn't realize they can jump, so she should be prepared to make a cover. I also mentioned that the plant helps clean the water while the fish helps fertilize the plant. If she lets her sweet noisy parrot out, I bet that red girl bird will have something to say about that happy fish.

Since we have hiacynth in our pond at work, I'm going to think about making such a set up there for overwintering some of the plants; we had such a cold, snow winter (2006-7) that I'm thinking that protecting some of them (and the papyrys) may be the only way we'll have some for winter. If I can toss in a betta, too (with a heater & filter), all the better.

If the set up remains the next time I visit the shop, I'll take pictures :)

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
I'd like to see pictures. Yes bettas love plants at the surface to rest on.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
debbie, i'm a local. what place would that be?

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Hi, Gregm! the shop is Gardener's Guild, 3222c Central SE (but actually on Wellesley, south of that open-air restaurant) and right across from where the book store moved to (Book Stop?). I don't know their hours, but their phone is 505-28-2719 (good thing I saved the sales slip!) Listen for the red parrot. The shop also has pottery, gardeon accessories, and plants, particularly some scented geraniums. We don't have enough pet stores in Albuquerque, so it's nice to stumble upon such a cool little store (though their pets are just hanging around, not for sale).

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Now I've got a picture of that tank mentioned above, though it was taken a few weeks ago, and the owner had moved it further into the store where it is darker. However, she was confident that the fish will be fine, they've done this before. I got the feeling she didn't like me challenging her success, so I didn't ask how long a plant like that survives with little light, when hyacynths like a lot of sun...

...and I want to insert my small picture but the "manage attachments" button doesn't respond. :huh: I regret this because my picture is quite nice and small (easy to download), too.

Maybe the feature will be fixed in the future.

Last edited:

raduque

AC Members
Aug 14, 2006
Debby, if you want, PM me for my email address. You can send me the pic and I'll host it for you. I'm curious about this betta setup, it sounds neat.

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks for the idea, Raduqe, but I'm here at work now, so maybe, with a different computer, the manage attachments button will work... seems to... let's hit "submit reply" and see...

Betta at home at Gardners Guild - DebbyS-20070920.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store