help! Black and White Spots on Naso tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fire4faye

AC Members
Apr 5, 2007
i recently got a Naso Tang and this morning has shown up with black spots (that look like pigmentation in her skin), and white spots that look like salt covering her body (fins, eyes, everything). I'm pretty sure this means somehow I acquired a fish with both white spot ich and black spot ich (ive heard black spot ich is commonly found with tangs). I need a quarantine tank for sure, but what do i treat with once i have him in there? do i need to do a freshwater dip? What if my other fish start showing signs? ANY help is appreciated i dont know who to turn to!!

55 gallon
zebra moray eel
snowflake eel
Naso tang
Queen Angel (she's goin back very soon, she is mean to everyone)
Baby banded catshark (just hatched)
anemone and two feather dusters
lots of hermit crabs and one coral banded shrimp
(I know its a lot we have a 180 gal in the works to move everyone over)
(the zebra is about 2 feet and the snowflake only about 6-7 inches)

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Don't panic yet! What time in the morning was it? Tangs change colours when they sleep so the black marks could be just body colouration. The white spots could be sand stuck to him if he's been sleeping too. If it is ich then I'm afraid your system is infested and other fish will probably start showing signs soon. If so, you need to move them all to a hospital tank doing freshwater dips on the way and treat them with a copper based medicine or try hyposalinity (dropping the sg). You'll need to leave the display tank without fish for 6-8 weeks to kill off the free swimming part of the ich lifecycle.

fire4faye

AC Members
Apr 5, 2007
early morning,, like 7am...possibly just sand?? not sure, now i think i see white spots on the zebra, but ive been known to be really paranoid...any way to tell for sure? the white spots do seem to be gone now from the tang, and now just the black spots,,, hmmmm.....i would love to be totally wrong about this...

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I would give it until this evening. If there are still white or black spots, you've probably got a problem sorry. You do have a humongous ammount of fish in that 55! You are way way overstocked. That many aggressive fish in such a small space will lead to major ammounts of stress and an illness is very likely. I'd get that 180 done asap!

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I hiope it isn't ich because I agree with Shark in allowing a system to fallow while you treat all fish in a QT/hopsital. How soon will the 180 be ready? If you have it now I'd move the rock and inverts over and use the 55 as a treatment tank. I'm not sure how some of your species such as eels will do with copper so I'd recommend hyposalinity but you'll need a refractometer to do that. A hydrometer just isn't accurate enough to be safe with hypo in my opinion.

cmar

AC Members
May 18, 2007
i had the black spots on my tang, and i gave him a dip. that was a week ago, and he's been clean since. hopefully no more problems...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store