Urgent Help Needed: Angelfish Attacking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AZDavid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
I have two tanks set up:

42 gallon stocked with

3 Veiltail Angelfish
2 German Blue Rams
1 Gold Ram
1 Peacock Eel
1 Rubberlip Pleco
1 Misc. Catfish
1 Silver Hatchetfish (others 3 died, idk why... not water conditions)

55 gallon stocked with

4 Discus (5" in diameter)
2 Golden Dojo Loaches (small)
10 Cardinal Tetras (full grown)
4 Corydoras Trilineatus (small)
6 Oto Catfish (full grown, 1.25" each)

Two of my Angels have paired off in the 42 gallon. One of those Angels is attacking and trying to kill the singled out Angel. Can I move the singled out Angel to the Discus tank? It is really stressed out and has spots on its side where the other Angel has attacked it.

To be honest the one being picked on is my favorite fish in the 42 gallon.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
Is there an option to return the odd-man-out Angel? Most ppl acquire 3-5 just to get a pair formed and return the other(s).

You can also increase cover within the tank, and attempt to divide the tank this way. This helps (I know).

As for adding into a Discus tank, most will caution against this (they are cichlids after all). How big is the Angel and Discus? It may not be a long-term solution, but if the discus are signifacantly larger this may work for a month or so until you get another tank, but you must be prepared to observe them heavily and be ready to remove the Angel IF you even attempt this...

AZDavid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
The Discus are 5" in diameter and the Angelfish has a body of about 2.5" in diameter.

AZDavid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
I believe the Discus have attacked and eaten two of the Cardinal Tetras. I cannot find them anywhere in the tank and I did a full cleaning yesterday.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if you move the angel to that tank, he will do the same thing. if he can't catch the tetras right away (like in the first hour of trying) he will probably give up, but if he catches one, it won't end until all the tetras have been eaten.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
You could move the angel in with the discus. they are large enough to keep the angel in line. but..I wouldn't woprry so much about the cardinals..especially if they are full grown.. but it's the oto's I'd worry about..
my angels (all of them ) will eat otocinclus..

AZDavid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
you coudl move him over if you want, but as the others have suggested you are putting the cardinals at risk.

BTW, dojo loaches should not be kept with tropical fish, especially discus and rams which need higher temperatures that other tropical fish.
The Dojos are cleaning up my snail problem. Thanks to the petstore plants.

AZDavid

AC Members
Jun 18, 2007
OMG I just noticed today that two of my Discus have paired off and spawned. They are guarding eggs on a plant.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
Now you really need to get two more 40 galons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store