Mbuna Red Top Ice Blue Zebra Cichlids info.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Prospector

AC Members
Aug 20, 2007
I am new to this crazy way of life and in the short time I have been involved with these fish I am hooked. I started with 6 semi to adult fish. It appeared to be 4 females and two males at the time. One male who was almost white in color with bright orange/red fins decided he was the alpha and took over my 55 gallon tank with lots of caves and cover. No other fish were allowed to stake a claim on any cave areas and he guarded all of them with his life. All was good for awhile but about a month ago he went postal and started killing off the other fish. The tank went down to two fish and the remaining other fish was a female. Recently about three weeks ago the male and female got together in one cave and did their dance and lots of eggs were layed and picked up in the females mouth. About two weeks ago the male got ticked off at the female and basically beat the daylights out of her over night. The next day I noticed what had happened and could see she was still carrying eggs but was pretty chewed up. I watched the tank and all seemed good until the male started in on her again and he rammed her several times and she spit out a bunch of eggs and he immediately ate them. After that he left her alone and went about his business. About a week ago he got to her again this time chewing most of her tail off and beating white spots into her sides of her body. I have since isolated her and she is eating, swimming, and not showing many signs of trauma or shock.
My questions are is she doomed, and are the eggs all gone? If the case being she is toast i am going to rid myself of this male and start with 6 to eight very small/newborn fish of the same species. I live outside of Chicago and have not seen many of these at pet stores. Where around me can i find them and what kind of price are they. Lesson learned, never start with older fish in a new tank. These fish aggressive as they are cant be this mean, can they?? Thanks,
Charlie.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
No she is not doomed, you can save her (like you did), and return the male (since they are more aggressive towards their own kind), and go with some smaller RTIB's...and if she is eating then she most likely is not brooding anymore...

Here is a link that I found about the RTIB...
http://www.malawicichlidhomepage.com/aquarium/mbuna_greshakei.html

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
....These fish aggressive as they are cant be this mean, can they??
Sorry to hear about the losses.

Aggression may be minimized by having more fish in the tank. 6 mbuna in a 55gal tank is understocked when it contains a hyperdominant male, making it easier for it to eliminate tankmates.

For the next go around, try increasing the quantity of mbuna in your 55gal to 12-15.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store