Clownfish Acting Erratic

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myfishbrian

Reefer
Jul 26, 2007
Rochester, NY
picasaweb.google.com
My Clarkii is acting very strangely ever since I took the 2 blue/green chromis out of his tank. It is now just him, a feather duster, a orange starfish, and a scallop in the 20 gallon tank. There is also a couple pounds of live rock. Ammonia is 0, Ites are .5, ates are at 40, and the salinity and temp are fine. Could the ates be whats causing all this trouble? I did a water change yesterday and that didn't seem to do much. Please help and let me know if there is anymore info I need to give you. Thanks

Gildurath

AC Members
May 12, 2007
Thunder Bay, Ontario
How is he acting erratic? Is he twitching very quickly to one side all the time? If so it is him just showing dominance or being submissive. Mine used to do this near my goby all the time, and my goby wears the pants in that relationship. Some says this is a sign of submission, others say it is them showing dominance, and that they are not afraid. Either way it is normal, mine used to do it when I came near the tank alot.

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
The nitrites at .5 is a problem. Any nitrites are very toxic and stressful to fish. Thats probably the root of the problem.

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
nitrite poisening? The fish could be suffocating.

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
Nitrite poisoning is when the nitrite (which is lethal to alot of fish at any level) causes the fishes blood haemoglobin to change to methhaemoglobin. The first can carry oxegyn, the second can not.

The fish will show a fast gill beat, hang out at the top of the water, and occasionally give a fast "sprint" around the aquarium.

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
Also...just to add, if your tank has already cycled, you should have no detectable nitrites in your system unless something has gone way "out of whack".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store