tang with dark spot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
I have a yellow tang that has a dark spot on it's side this started after the ick is in qt,I'm using coppersafe ick has cleared up for now waiting to see if reappers this is 2 1/5 weeks into treatment , I was wonding if it could have rubbed to hard on something and did this since it started after I seen it rub really hard on a fake rock I had in the qt and what should I do for it would take pics no cam :1zhelp: thanks

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
It could be from rubbing on the rock. It could also be from stress. Tangs are known to develop dark spots if they're stressed for long periods of time. From what I understand in your message, it'd had ich which would obviously be a major source of stress. How big is the qt tank? How big is the Tang? What are the water params of the qt tank?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
When my yellow was in the hospital tank it too got a dark and red blotchy looking area. I watched it closely to see if he needed an antibiotic as well but it cleared up in less than a week. My thought is it was aggrevated areas where the cysts had been. Just be patient and keep a close eye on it.

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
the tang is 3 inches and the qt is 10 gallon ,the params are off the nitrites5 ammonia 10 nitrates 10 salinity 1.022temp 80-82 . I have read that copper is not good for tangs for any length of time if this is true how long should I leave it in there .And yes it did start as a red spot and then it turned brown,it is still eating very good but does hide behind a thing I have in there.I have erthromycin anti-bacterial med do ou think I should use it or wait and see what happens thank for all the help

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It is poison and will kill neccessary bacteria in their digestive tract. Even so I too opted to use it as I said. I followed the directions on the box and the tang never lost his appetite and looks great. I did a 6 week fallow period for all the fish. I waited out the spots on him and didn't use an antibiotic although I came close to getting some for him.

However is that right..your ammonia is 10???? Even if it is 1 I'd do a water change.

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
thanks for the info and will wait to use the antiboitic do you think the tang will be allright in the 10 g I know it is small but I did not have enouth salt to make up the 30 and I don't want to stress him by changing him in to it or do you think I should change him thanks

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
copper in heavy concentrations is poisonous.
erythromycin is an antibiotic. not poison.
it is selective on bacteria is kills but may cause slight imbalances in the digestive bacteria.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
if you can't keep up with QT parameters, your tang will not leave it alive. I don't know what kind of dark spot your tang developed, could be due to stress if on both sides or in place where descoloration is possible. but the thing with treating with copper is that your fish can't have sores or cuts or copper can get into a wound and infect the area badly. hope i'm wrong. i hate ich, i used to love the med from Aquatronics for it, but they aren't in business anymore due to most of their meds being too strong for any fish to handle. but one of their ich meds, and only one good thing that they ever had, worked great even if marine fish was covered in parasite without stressing a fish or causing ammonia spike. i don't know what i would use now. good luck

counrygirl

AC Members
Feb 12, 2007
I giving up date on yellow tang it seems the the dark spot is getting lighter and no more sign of ick but will wait for that as I know it has a way of reappearing out of no where I still have it in qt with the coppersafe going on my 3rd week(it seem like forever)3 more to go thanks for all the help from every one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store