I want some fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lippy415

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I've been cycling for 15 days and I have ants in my pants. I've been adding 8ml of ammonia from Ace Hardware every day to bring my ammonia to 5ppm. Still nothing. Everyday I'm so sad when I see there are no nitrites. :thud:

Should I get bio-spira or try to relax? My kids keep looking in the aquarium and when anyone comes over they say, "Where's the fish?"

I also added a Ziploc bag full of gravel from a friend's aquarium about 9 days ago.

Should I get the chemicals or continue to wait impatiently?

Thanks,
Erin

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Get some of your friend's used filter material, drop it into your filter, drop in a couple small (and dispensible) fish. Wait a few days and see where you are.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Get some of your friend's used filter material, drop it into your filter, drop in a couple small (and dispensible) fish. Wait a few days and see where you are.
Dispensible fish? No fish are dispensible...

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
or feeders they are really cheap.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Even if you seed the tank, there's no reason you can't keep using ammonia to finish the cycle. Once you can add ammonia and it and the nitrites are all gone within a few hours, then you can add fish. If you seed it again it might only take another few days.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
He means danios or something.
or feeders they are really cheap.
The fish still suffer throughout the cyling process! I see no reason in not adding ammonia like they were before. Buying fish to complete the cycle (or start it), and then returning them when their "job" is done, is dumb in my honest opinion. Patience is the key...

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Dispensible fish? No fish are dispensible...
Exactly.
No living thing is "dispensible".
They are living creatures, not toys or tools.
You wouldn't use an arowana or rare fish to cycle your tank, no, you'd make some danios or goldfish suffer since they are 'cheap'.:thumbsdown:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store