Tomini Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
I purchased a small Tomini Tang today, about 2" long. He looked great in the LFS, swimming all around, was plump, and overall looked healthy. My LFS QT's their fish for several days before adding them to the main system. He must have come in 1-2 weeks ago I believe.

We added him in around 5, and a short time ago we noticed some white blotches on his side. Is this possibly from the rocks or stress? I remember my Yellow Tang turning brown when he was scared. Currently in the tank is 2 false percs, 1 purple firefish, 1 reg. firefish, 1 green mandarin, and a male lyretail anthias. The anthias is about the size of the tang, and went after him when we first added him. The tang turned around and did his tail whip, and the anthias swam off.

Now he's chasing the anthias around, swatting his tail on the anthias tail. Not the spike, but the tail tip, like a threat. Maybe putting him in his place? He's pecking at algae around the tank too.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
In the second shot are those spots on the fish or are some coralline on the glass? I've not seen a tang get stress coloring just like that. As for the tail flicking sounds like it is trying to establish dominance. I'd say to keep an eye on him in QT and get another shot of the spots tomorrow but... =)

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Those whitish/brownish spots are on him. When looking up close it looks like the first layer of skin was scraped off, and it's just below that (you can see like skin peeling almost I guess). I know the anthias chased him into rocks to begin with and it appeared shortly after that so I was guessing he ran into something as I've noticed he thinks he's small enough to fit anywhere.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I know what you mean, my yellow will flip sideways and swim through rocks as if he is a fighter jet. Sorry about the spots. Without a clearer photo it is difficult to tell. You might take a look at the disease pages on wetwebmedia.com just in case.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Once he comes out again I'll get a new picture with my dslr.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Alright here you go. You'd think I'd use my Nikon over the Casio, but I'm lazy. A bit better, just hard to catch him with the flash off.

And his good side.

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
It does not looks like a disease or parasite. It looks more like he tried to swim between two pieces of LR and it was to tight of a fit. That is what it looks like from the pics.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Thats what I thought, considering he has gone through places he probably shouldn't have fit.

darkcirca

AC Members
Feb 28, 2007
Fairfax, VA
www.thereptilefile.com
Thanks :) I'll keep an eye out and hope the two of them stop picking on each other. I think they are done, as now my anthias is being very chill now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store