DIY NANO? 7.5 gallon bowfront help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RedDawg

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Beautiful BC
Ok so i have a 7.5 gallon acrylic bowfront and am wanting to know if it would make a good sw nano tank???

can you use a hang on filter and add filter bags with crushed LR to it?

hmmm I could get a replacement light or make one myself i guess?

bladeruner143

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
I don't see why I wouldnt make a good nano tank? I'm not sure about the filter ? but I think you should be able to find one as well

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
It is possible, but the people I see having the best luck of all with nanos tend to be people that have had larger tanks first. That doesn't mean that there aren't folks around that have luck with a nano their first time around but 7.5g is an awfully small enviroment to keep stable.

What are you wanting to stock it with?

RedDawg

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Beautiful BC
i saw another nano with one clown and some hermit crabs and some shrimp thats pretty cool some live corals a little reef thing

But most people use the false back ? Can i just use a HOB filter ?
What will keep the salt water salty lol im so dam noob with reef tanks?

bladeruner143

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
I would have to agree with Grins here, you may want to consider starting with a larger tank rather than a nano. Nano tanks are very hard to keep stable and require lots of effort. This is a daunting task, especially for a beginner.

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
grins i will prove you wrong haha i am going to setup my nano and not let it crash! lol personaly me (the person with no experiance with sw also) would say that it would be fine i dont know about the clown but you can do a nano like that because the live rock is the filter and the hob will just circulate the water. o and that is if you buy a few pound of live rock to go in the tank its self. i saw on one thread that someone made a nano with just live rock filtration and a powerhead for circulation... i am probly wrong though lol so dont listen to me its 4 in the morning

RedDawg

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
Beautiful BC
hahah ideas are abbundant this time of the day! Check out the DIY false back nano?

what part would be so hard to keep it going , i have 4 FW tank s i do lots of fish work lol !

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
If there's going to be no corals in your nano, there isn't so much to worry about. Stock it lightly, be sure to not overfeed, keep up with maintenance, and it shouldn't be too hard. You can easily have a single smaller fish and a few snails / hermits. If you were to do this, the biggest concern would be keeping up with the freshwater top off so that there are not big swings in salinity / specific gravity.

If you would like to keep corals in the nano, more effort will go into maintaining proper water quality. It will become even more important to not overfeed, as you wouldn't want the nitrate and phosphate levels to spiral out of control, causing issues with not only algae, but the corals, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store