DIY Stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bladeruner143

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
Hey guys, I'm currently building a stand for my 100G FOWLR tank and I had a quick question. The area where i'm going to be putting the tank is carpeted. I was planning on having "legs" on the stand rather than having the 2x4 frame resting on the ground. Would it be better to have the frame rest on the ground because it is carpeted or will I be ok with the legs. I'm mainly concerned about the carpet making things not level. thanks

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
It's possible that the carpet will make your tank sit uneven, mine does. If you're going with 100g and don't plan on moving sometime soon it would be easier to cut the carpet out and rest the entire frame on the ground.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Even with the entire tank on the ground with our DIY we still shimmed up the front to get the tank level. The stand is made level but as you said with carpet and one part being against the wall the front was definitely needing some help...especially since our tank sits forward on our stand. Shims are cheap and easy to use.

mosthated

AC Members
Jul 25, 2007
The frame on the ground is always better IMO, but legs will be ok too, you might have to do some shimming, but just because you have carpet doesnt mean it WILL be unlevel. But chances are it will be with just about any floor...

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have heard of people placing styro under their tank stand to help level it.. Have no idea if it works but I've read it somewhere.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have styro under my tank between it and the stand but it wouldn't do much for leveling a front to back issue caused by a tacking strip for carpet. More of a protection against imperfections of the surface it is on.

bladeruner143

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
Well, the problem is that I can't rip out the carpet because I live in an apartment (the landlord might not like that too much). I'm thinking of taking away the legs and just having the frame sit on the carpet. I am also planning on leaving about an inch between the wall and stand so that the tacking strip isn't an issue. I was also planning on doing the Styrofoam on top because you never know what kind of imperfections Home Depot's wood has! Thanks for all of the input guys/gals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store