Sick Goldfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thecowman

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
Visit site
I currently have 1 common goldfish (6 inches), 1 comet (3 inches) and 1 london shubunkin (3 inches) along with a common pl*co in my 35 gallon tank. They have all lived there happily for the past 4 years without suffering from any type of illness. Ammonia levels are zero, and frequent water changes are done on a regular basis. Today while observing my fish, I noticed that my common goldfish had a small red discolouration on (her?) cheek. It is a circular in shape and is light red in colour. No other discolourations can be found on the body of the fish and it shows no other sign of illness. Is this something I should be worried about? Or is it nothing more than normal colour deviation that I should not concern myself with? Thanks for any help! :(

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I suggest that you keep a close eye on the red spot to see if it worsens or spreads, also keep an eye on the other fish as well. Test the water for nitrite and nitrate as well to make sure everything is okay. It may just go away on its own in a few days. I would suggest that you watch your pleco as well, he may very well be the culprit of this red spot. Plecos are known to suck on goldfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store