Pacific blue or powder blue tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
Ok, I was at the pet store with my dad and they have a display SW tank. In this tank they had a pacific blue tang and a purple tang. The purple tang didn't look like other purple tangs. It had a deep violet color. I wish I had a camera with me. Well, my dad loved the tang and was asking the store owner all about it. Turns out it cost $300! I was just kidding but I said, "You know, if we got a 100 gallon instead of a 20 we could get a tang." Then my dad started looking at tanks at said "could we get one in a 75 gallon?" Wow was I excited. The only problem is that I really don't like buying wild caught fish. So I searched and searched and found this: http://www.inlandaquatics.com. They have captive reared pacific blue tangs and powder blue tangs. Would either do ok in a 75? I really hope so, I can't believe I may be able to get a 75!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I have a Pacific Blue "CB Juvie" and love it. From what I can gather it is love/hate with the PBT. Mine is terrific and plays with my clowns. The kole is a really nice tang as well and you get the added benefit of algae control. I have never owned a kole's tang - don't know if there are other issues or concerns with one. My reef store is only really negative to the yellow tang.

hondamx

AC Members
Jul 1, 2006
Is there anywhere else to get captive bred or captive raised tangs other then inland aquatics? I wish they had more choices.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Yet again, see so many of these fish die in captivity, and there is plenty of evidence of that on these forums, and by very good aquarist's..best left in the ocean in my opinion...both of them...

NIko

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
Id get a bigger tank if you are thinking about getting a PB or PB their special needs are some that most aquarist may or may not be ready to handle. They sure are pretty though esp. the blue.

Kodiak

Lovin it
Aug 13, 2007
Columbus, OH
Yet again, see so many of these fish die in captivity, and there is plenty of evidence of that on these forums, and by very good aquarist's..best left in the ocean in my opinion...both of them...

NIko

You think fish are better left in the ocean yet you fuel the demand for them?

mrtuskfish

AC Members
Jul 13, 2007
Is there anywhere else to get captive bred or captive raised tangs other then inland aquatics? I wish they had more choices.
I looked at this site; I'm not sure their tangs are tank bred. It says "captive reared" whatever that is; sounds like they catch them in the wild, then rear them to a larger, more profitable size. Very,very few marine fish are bred in captivity.Clowns, dottybacks, cardinals, and a few dwarf angels are the only ones I know of. Fortunately,; our hobby takes a tiny percentage of natures marine life. Some of the fish we treasure are just bait to the locals where they're caught. I do admire your convictions, however.
ps: I looked again at that site again, tangs are NOT BRED in captivity, they are wild caught and grown out. The site says this reduces stress on the fish, but juvi fish are often much more delicate than adults.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store